New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

airport utilility DOES NOT recognise USB DISK

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rhysbartels

rhysbartels is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, x1600 256MB, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz G4

hello
am i the only person?
i recently bought a new airport extreme to upgrade my dodgy-as-**** netgear router. i was running a network disk on the netgear through ethernet, and i now want to use the usb connection on the enclosure to plug into the airport. it should be simple right? i just plug it in and configure it via the airport utility. i have the latest version.

nothing shows up in the disk list. so i tried an external disk that is normally teathered to my mac. nothing. what am i missing?

both disks i have tried are FAT32

please help a frustrated pilot...

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I believe you configure it through the Airport disk utility
QUOTE Thanks
rhysbartels

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, x1600 256MB, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz G4

i have tried everything i can think of. this is the Airport Disk Utility when i have a disk connected:

and the Airport Utility, again with a disk connected:

QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

This?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305040

Or maybe the block size...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305038
QUOTE Thanks
rhysbartels

thankyou for you help by the way...

the name of the drive was ' SERVER' so i don't think it is this problem. i just changed it to 'lanshare' and tried it again to no avail.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just curious, what brand are these external USB2 drives? If it's a case you installed a drive into, what is the Case's brand? Model?
QUOTE Thanks
rhysbartels

im not getting it... it should not be hard, and no one else is complaining of this issue. i am starting to think i have a dodgey unit. here is the info from disk utility. block size means nothing to me, it is a normal formatted external drive.

thankyou
QUOTE Thanks
rhysbartels

i have 3 drives that i have tested. all are Seagate Barracuda 7200. 120Gb, 200Gb, 320Gb.
the first two are in Laser enclosures, and the latter a Hotway Landrive (USB2 and Ethernet)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysbartels View Post
i have 3 drives that i have tested. all are
Are all the drives different brands? If that is the case, I would take the AE back and exchange it for another one.
QUOTE Thanks
rhysbartels

seems to be a bad unit. will be contacting the store tommorrow morning. thankyou all for your help. will let you know how i get on.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« any help | Azureus and Port Settings Questions »