New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme Base station

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaynorris

jaynorris is on a distinguished road

I asked this question in another section, so I thought I'd give it it's own thread. In reguard to the Airport Extreme Base Station... Is is possible to write ACL's with the Firewall? By that I mean allow/disallow IP's or Ports/Services. Apple claims its a good small business Firewall, but if you can't write an ACL then it's worthless as a decent Firewall / Router.

Thanks,
Jay
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I have the A Extreme base station. I'm kind of a network newbie, but I'll help you out if I can. Let me know what you want me to check for.
QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
I have the A Extreme base station. I'm kind of a network newbie, but I'll help you out if I can. Let me know what you want me to check for.
Thanks. Basically I'm looking for any configuration option with the base station that will allow me to do any of the following.

Allow/Disallow Multiple IP addresss or mac address bound to a port.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing if it's possbile to put the IP address or mac address in a schedule mode. For example I don't want my daughter to surf the net after 9 on Mon-Fri, but on Sat-Sun she can surf until midnight (just an example).

And lastly logging... What sort of logging features does the Extreme have?

I'm not looking for all these features in one unit, as it's to much to ask for the price Apple is selling for. It would be nice however to know exactly what's available to the purchasor when we are spending almost $200 for a router/firewall. I'm not anal, but I do Network Security type work and well the reality of the Internet is a constant reminder.

Thanks,
Jay
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

You are over my head, but I will try to help you out.

Here are the options for logging. Let me know if you want any sub menus.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (95.1 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

I know you can configure port mapping. I assume that's pretty normal.

Here are some more settings I think you're looking for. Let me know if I'm on the right track.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (73.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Picture 4.png (80.0 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Here are the options for time and day access.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 6.png (36.7 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

Excellent, looks though the router offers some contol. I do wonder if you can access restrict a specific IP or mac address. Ok, thanks cherokee you've shown me some good stuff, and I now have a better idea what to expect from the Base station.

Thanks!
Jay
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AirPort Extreme WEP 128 Hex 26 digits Key | mac to PC networking issue and a quick question. »