New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Move data from one imac to anothe via firewire?????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

ok kids,

you may have seen my external hard drive thread,
and thats not working out as planned,
mostly because the enclosure i bought off ebay was cheapo from overseas and doesnt work with any of my quantum fireball hard drives.

anyway,

is there a way to move the mac os x tiger from one imac to the other imac running 10.2.8 with a firewire cable???????????
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Sure, plug the new Mac into the old one via FW, reboot the new one anh hold down the "T" key. This will boot the new machine into "Firewire Disc Mode" and the drive will show up on the old machines desktop. Now go and download "CarbonCopyCloner" and tell it to copy the entire system from the old machine to the new ones drive, make sure you tell it to make it a boot-able instal.

Restart the new machine when done and viola'.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

You don't need carbon copy cloner. apple provided one for you: applications > utilities > Migration Assistant.app

I feel a rep coming on...
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 4.png (76.3 KB, 10 views)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Thanks,
ill go try it,
but i cant find migration assistant in my hard drive on 10.2,
so im assuming that migration assistant is on 10.4 which is the host computer.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

He said he wants to move the OS, Migration assistant won't do that, CCC will.

QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

ok,
thanks for your help everyone!
i used superduper to clone the hd and it was a lot easier than cloning to an external hard drive, taking apart my imac, and blah blah blah,
tiger is a LOT better than jaguar,
with jaguar, i went from 384mb ram to 768mb ram and didnt even notice a difference, its MUCh faster with tiger.

my only problem is,

since i cloned my brothers computer,
he had his password his name and all that,
i changed the account,
but when i log in it still says "Trents imac" at the top,

how do i change that?????
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Just go to System Prefs -> Accounts and you can change the name there ...but whatever you do Tanner, don't change the ShortName, that's underneath the Name.... it's a very bad move and causes havoc. It'll probably be greyed out anyhow, but others have messed with it before.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

I'd reinstall a clean system. Then use migration assistant. Because I'd be afraid of hardware specific settings acting up.

QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

i cant reinstall a clean system, because i dont have 10.4 cds, which is why i cloned my brothers hard drive, for a free upgrade for myself.
anyway,

i already have my name on the account,
but when i go to log in or out, at the top below the apple logo it still says "Trents imac" even though his account has been deleted.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Not a problem:

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sharing
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (89.1 KB, 1 views)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fios connection | Networking and AirPort/Belkin/XP/Vista help »