New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Fios connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amigower

amigower is on a distinguished road

I am getting Fios install today and they are insisting on installing their router
ActionTec M1424WR,my dilemma is I want to still use my Airport Extreme router,is there a way to piggyback them together?

Tony
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigower View Post
I am getting Fios install today and they are insisting on installing their router
ActionTec M1424WR,my dilemma is I want to still use my Airport Extreme router,is there a way to piggyback them together?

Tony
Sure. Run an Ethernet cable from one of the ports on the Actiontec switch to the Internet port on the Airport Extreme.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just supply a modem, but it's not a big deal.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Just plug your airport into the router they supplied you.

make sure you turn the wirless of on the one they gave you.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The router they provide is also the modem.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
cubbie5150

cubbie5150 is on a distinguished road

Man, I wish I could get FIOS where I live!!! I f'in hate Cox HSI!!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
The router they provide is also the modem.
are you sure? because I can plug directly into my Fios Conection bypassing the router and it still works... I though they just insisted on the router for security reasons.. however, i still do use the router.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it was just the way they set it up for me because I have a Coax cable going into the Actiontec modem because we have no computers near our fiber box and I wired my house myself

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
Maybe it was just the way they set it up for me because I have a Coax cable going into the Actiontec modem because we have no computers near our fiber box and I wired my house myself
hmm.. i wondered what that coax was for.. I have ethernet an ethernet going into mine.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I'm planning on getting FIOS where I live and I certainly hope that their router is compatible with my Mac(s). I just switched out my wired linksys with a wireless that I was previously using as a WAP and noted a significant speed-up with my DSL.

Of course, that could be because the wireless router (also linksys) is much newer and has a more recent firmware revision. Still, I'd hate to have to piggyback my wireless off of theirs since it might slow it down.

Or maybe not; FIOS is supposed to be so fast you wouldn't notice. :bomb:
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
I'm planning on getting FIOS where I live and I certainly hope that their router is compatible with my Mac(s). I just switched out my wired linksys with a wireless that I was previously using as a WAP and noted a significant speed-up with my DSL.

Of course, that could be because the wireless router (also linksys) is much newer and has a more recent firmware revision. Still, I'd hate to have to piggyback my wireless off of theirs since it might slow it down.

Or maybe not; FIOS is supposed to be so fast you wouldn't notice. :bomb:
I don't think that would be of concern. You're still at 100Mb between the two routers. I know FIOS offers some high-bandwidth packages, but I don't think they go that high.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I don't think that would be of concern. You're still at 100Mb between the two routers. I know FIOS offers some high-bandwidth packages, but I don't think they go that high.
Now that I think about it, I was at 10Mb because of the hub I had between one room and the router. Now it's straight 100mb or whatever the Airport can speak at with the wireless (b) router. I had some pretty ancient (comparitively) equipment even if it was kind of bleeding edge at the time. Heck, my first home network all routed into an old Linux box that acted as a dial up gateway for all the other machines in my house. I didn't care if the hub was 10 or 100 since the dial-up to the rest of the world was 56kbps. Good times (NOT!)

Either way I'm pretty sure FIOS will kick some tail whenever I get around to ordering it. And not having to worry about routing (heh) wires will be very cool.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

Which package are you going to get?

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

wireless b only goes at 11mbps. The router that comes with the service does 802.11g which is 54mbps. I actually like the router a lot, the admin functions are incredibly powerful and intuitive on it

QUOTE Thanks
jaynorris

jaynorris is on a distinguished road

Having FiOS I can provide some feedback. The trick here is to not use the router Verizon supplies you. By default mac address security, known as Port security it turned on by verizon. This is a decent security feature if someone was to splice your connection. This means only he mac address assigned to the verizon router, or the first deviced plugged in is what's allowed - initally. Now since I haven't purchased a Airport extreme yet I can't say for certain, but with my Linksys I simply cloned the address of the verizon D-Link router and it works, also as a hack tip this is how you by pass any mac / port security - clone the mac address. BTW I hate D-Link, and asked Verizon not to put it on my Network!!! Anyway, I'm hoping when I get my Airport extreme it will allow me to perform mac cloning... Anyone have insight to this?
QUOTE Thanks
amigower

amigower is on a distinguished road

I am getting 20/5 up for speed ,I did hook up the Airport to the Actiontec but can't get to the net,maybe I need to programmed the Actiontec to detec the airport's mac address? I am trying to do this with minimal interruptions (family gets upset when the net goes down,lol)

Tony
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Azureus and Port Settings Questions | Move data from one imac to anothe via firewire????? »