New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

"Dome" Airport Extreme and External Hard Drives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dingusjt@mac.co

dingusjt@mac.co is on a distinguished road

I know the new Airport Extreme bases are shipped with the Airport Disk (not sure of proper name) utility to hook an external hard drive to the USB.

Can that same software be applied to the older "dome" base stations? Is there any work around, 3rd party etc. etc.?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The older airports don't have the USB port to hook up a hard drive so there is no way it would work

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dingusjt@mac.co

the base station that i have has a USB, i can print with my usb printer through it.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Woops forgot about the USB in the extreme versions. There are no add-ons and the speed would not be viable for any such use

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

you could hook up a Network Drive via the ethernet port on the Extreme Base -- that requires a NAS drive , and you'd lose the ability to hook a computer to the Base via ethernet. NAS enclosures are relatively cheap ($50 or so). I'm looking at doing this since I access via wireless with all the home computers anyway. You could put a 400 meg hardrive on your network for about $200-250, accessible by all the machines on your network.

I'm told, however, that speed is a bit slow in this configuration (for disk backup purposes) -- apparently basic file sharing and iTunes sharing is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
dingusjt@mac.co

then I wouldn't need any special software or anything on the mac side, like the Aiport Disk that comes with the new extremes?
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Don't think so -- a NAS drive is configured to be recognized via an ethernet connection. The Airport Extreme Base (older version, not the new one) just sees it as a piece of network hardware (like a modem or router).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wirelessly connect to a PC? | How to view Windows network shares over VPN? »