Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Internet, Networking, and Wireless (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/)
-   -   Wireless Network cut-out? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/58276-wireless-network-cut-out.html)

cnlcolombian 04-03-2007 10:07 AM

Wireless Network cut-out?

Hey guys

i have learned alot about setting up a wireless network with my friends macbook.

we had setup a network using a linksys wireless G connecting 3 desktops (2 macs and 1 pc) and 3 notebooks (2 macbooks and pc)

first time it worked fine throughout the house, then started cuting out within a week or so...so i read up and changed the problem facing WPA with macs, so went to WPA2 like i read to do.

now it worked fine for 2 weeks, and now it is cutting out at random times.

dunno what to think about it, it is located 4 feet from the main breaker box of the house...did not know if EMI had something to affect it

Thanks for any help guys

~andres

awrence 04-03-2007 04:04 PM

Any wireless or mobile telephones in the house?

PowerBookG4 04-03-2007 04:59 PM

using microwaves often?

cnlcolombian 04-03-2007 10:31 PM

i changed the frequency to 2.11 MHz or something above the standard 2.4, so i knew about that

the other consideration was the microwave, but did that have the ability to kick everyone off and switch automatically to the neighbors wireless? the router is in the basement, which shoudnt be a problem with range...

so the question is, could the microwave kick everyone off and switch it?

cwa107 04-03-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnlcolombian (Post 362672)
i changed the frequency to 2.11 MHz or something above the standard 2.4, so i knew about that

the other consideration was the microwave, but did that have the ability to kick everyone off and switch automatically to the neighbors wireless? the router is in the basement, which shoudnt be a problem with range...

so the question is, could the microwave kick everyone off and switch it?

No, but make sure you're not using the same frequency as your neighbor (he might also be hunting around, looking to avoid you too - which would explain the trouble-free times). This widget will help you identify what channel the surrounding neighbors are using.

Also, get your router UP as high as you can. The basement is quite possibly the worst possible choice of placement.

cnlcolombian 04-03-2007 11:31 PM

well the basement is where they main line comes in, and i dont have a wired router to redirect it upstairs.....whats a bettter idea, i cant think at the moment lots of things going on over here

i will certainly check into that widget and see the frequency levels

sorry for hte ignorance but what is UP?

awrence 04-04-2007 07:47 AM

up as in higher in the center of the building

cnlcolombian 04-04-2007 09:47 AM

oh dang sorry bout that, the capitals confused me...yesterday was hectic. I can try my best to move it up.

Thx alot guys

freshfitz 04-04-2007 11:06 PM

Throw the linksys in a dumpster and get an airport extream

baggss 04-05-2007 12:57 AM

Thanks for the Widget CWA.....