New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Setting Up A Network to Share Files Between OS X and XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeroz52

zeroz52 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD

Important: You MUST have a password setup for your Windows user account to be able to access your shared files or drive/s from OS X

Getting Your Windows Machine Ready to Share

Obtain you Windows machine's IP Address.
Method 1:
Click Start -> Click Control Panel -> Click Network and Internet Connections -> Click Network Connections -> Right Click Local Area Connection -> Select Status -> Click the Support Tab
You should see something similar to the following

Method 2
Click Start > Click Run -> Type CMD -> Type ipconfig
You should see something similar to the following

Setting Up A Network

Click Start -> My Network Places -> under Network Tasks click Set up a home or small office network, this will start the Network Setup Wizard -> click Next twice -> select your appropriate connection method -> Enter in a computer description (example WinXP) and a computer name (example SCOTTWIN) Click Next -> Enter a workgroup name (example SCOTTS) click next -> Select turn on file and printer sharing. Follow the rest of the prompts if any and then move on to the next step.

More Help if you need it:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

Selecting File/s or Drive/s to Share
Navigate to the file or drive you want to share -> Right Click on it -> Select Sharing and Security -> Select the Check Box for Share this folder on the network -> Give it a name (example Win) -> Repeat for other folders or drives.

Firewall Setup
This Step Is Very Important, You Can Do Everything Else Perfect, Skip This Step and End Up Being Very Frustrated
My firewall, ZoneAlarm, was the reason that I kept getting a code 36, so make sure you configure your firewall, allowing access from your Mac's IP address.
I only had to navigate to the "truste Zones" and add my IP.

Setting Up Your Mac

Step 1 Finding Your Macs IP Address
Go to About This Mac from the Finder Menu

Select More Info

Select Network and Locate your Macs IP Address from the info

Step 2
Got to Applications -> Utilities Folder -> Click on Directory Access

-> Click on the Padlock in the lower left corner of the screen and type your password when prompted -> Click the Check Box next to SMB/CIFS -> Then click on the Configure Button -> Type in the name of the workgroup that you created in the Windows Network wizard (example was SCOTTS though its Z52 in the pic)

Step 3
Go to System Preferences -> Click on Sharing

Click the padlock in the lower left and enter your password when prompted -> Click the Check Box next to Windows Sharing [B->[/B]

Next click the Accounts button -> Click the check boxes for the accounts that you want to allow sharing with.

Step 4
Connecting To Your Windows Machine from OS X

From the Finder menu Click Go -> Select Connect To Server

Type in the your Windows Machines IP Address

A window will pop up requesting the -> Workgroup name (example SCOTTS) -> user name (type in your Windows account name) -> Password (your Windows account password)
Select the File Name or Drive Name you setup on Windows to share and Hit OK

An Icon should now appear on your desktop and a window will open showing the contents of your shared Windows folder, similar to this:

That should be it. Hopefully this will help out some new Mac users like myself.
If I missed something let me know.

White MacBook - C2D - 2GHz - 1GB Ram - 80GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
zeroz52

zeroz52 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD

Bump for my first attempt at a tutorial for OS X. neye:

White MacBook - C2D - 2GHz - 1GB Ram - 80GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

nice zeroz52, I definfitely missed seeing it
should be a help to some

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Keavon

Keavon is on a distinguished road

What if you have XP and Leopard? There is no such think is Directory Access! What should I do now...? Thanks for the guide though!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using AirPort extreme with printer and hard drive? | Where is my wireless? »