New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Privacy in University network!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hovestadt

Hovestadt is on a distinguished road

Hey there!
I access Wireless Internet at my University with my Macbook.
When I go to the Internet my browser (Safari) always warns me about privacy, saying that my information could easily be accessed by a third party.
Because I am not keen with Computers could someone please tell me, whether password, account numbers, mails or stuff like that, can be accesse by a third party or whether it is just the internet adresses that I am going to.
Unfortunately I have no Idea.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Hovestadt
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Any email you read or send, any website you view, and any information you transmit to a website should be considered the equivalent of being written on a postcard: most people don't have access to it but anyone who really wanted to could see it.

The only way around this is through encryption. Many (though not all) online businesses use encrypted web sites that do an ok job of keeping your data secure. You can also encrypt your emails if you want to, though the person on the receiving end needs the capability to decrypt them.

"Privacy" and "internet" are pretty much two polar opposites.
QUOTE Thanks
Hovestadt

Hovestadt is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks. The thing is i canīt access encrypted web pages. I have to accept some certificates and only by doing that I am allowed to access the internet with the University Hotspot. I donīt care for my privacy, but the University restricted the use of ebay and youtube and chat rooms in general, but I want to use them, but I donīt want to get into trouble.
?????
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Switch schools.

:ninja:

If the school is doing something at the network level that prevents clients (that's you) from accessing those sites, you are probably out of luck. You might look around to see if there is some harmless-looking portal site that would allow you to get into eBay and YouTube without going to those specific addresses.

Find a Starbuck's nearby and do all your study there?
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

What school is this if I may ask?
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

I browse the internet generally and do work related stuff at university but I would never shop online or bank online when connected to the university network. They really don't take security very seriously here.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

I used my MaBook in the university wireless network and a window opened with a message of someone asking permission to access my Mac. I just have to deny it access ... many times. I have the confidence that the OSX security cannot be easlity penetrated.

You should also make sure that your Mac firewall is turned on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport internet connnection problems | Hooking up Printer to Network »