New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

802.11 N

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamesx

has anyone tried this new 802.11n? i see apple and a few other companies are advertising there new routers, but i was just wondering if anyone has tried it and if it i any better... thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Yes I have the apple airport extreme base station. Seems to work very good.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Keep in mind that in order to gain the most benefit from 802.11n technology, you must have both a base station AND wireless adapters using the same technology.

Sure, 802.11a/b/g products will work with a 802.11n router, but you won't get the increased bandwidth or farther range that makes getting 802.11n so compelling.
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

I was so disappointed when I found out that my sweet Macbook didn't possess this capability, darn me for buying pre C2D.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

yes i have the the 802.11 n card in my macbook, but i was jsut wondering if the speed and range are that much better that the 802.11 a/b/g i am using now.
QUOTE Thanks
mikedee

mikedee is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new Macbook, which picks up a few networks in my house, but they are hit n miss. I was thinking of getting Airport.

Question is, my DSL is hooked into my Windows XP PC. With this airport thingie, can I plug the modem into airport, then have the Windows PC and the Macbook run off it?

That is the point of Airport, isnt it?

Sorry, I'm a Mac n00b
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
yes i have the the 802.11 n card in my macbook, but i was jsut wondering if the speed and range are that much better that the 802.11 a/b/g i am using now.
According to various reviews, it looks as though the new 802.11n router from Apple definitely sports speed and range improvements over the last version. You're looking at around 100-200MB/s realistic transfers, which is a huge improvement over the 20-25MB/s realistic transfer you get with 802.11g. Also, the range is much improved as you can retain a good connection at farther distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedee View Post
Question is, my DSL is hooked into my Windows XP PC. With this airport thingie, can I plug the modem into airport, then have the Windows PC and the Macbook run off it?

That is the point of Airport, isnt it?

Sorry, I'm a Mac n00b
LOL, yes, that is the point of Airport and every other wireless router. It simply takes your DSL connection and splits it among various computers.
QUOTE Thanks
i-VTEC

i-VTEC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+

For some reason, my D-Link DI-624 decided to support either only my iMac's or XP Pro/PS3...couldn't figure out how to CONFIGURE it, tried different settings...no luck.

Upgraded to this and wasn't surprised how EASY it was and I was done under 5 minutes...sure I probably spent $80 CAN more for this but I'm very happy and the USB 2.0 HDD and/or Printer is a nice touch!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport booting | how to network macbook with powermac 8500 (sys 9) »