New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Problems with networking printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

So today I broke down and bought a new printer, along with an airport extreme base station so I can connect the printer to the usb port - no need for a print server, etc....

I came home from work early to set it up - figured I'd tackle the router first, then hook up and install the printer, and I'd have it all done before dinner. RIGHT.

I unhooked my linksys router, plugged in the airport according to the instructions, and was online with no problem. The problem started when I went to the airport setup utility to configure things. Now I cannot connect to the internet at all - I have full strength from all machines, they can connect to the apple network, but none can connect to the internet. The light flashes orange - because it is not detecting an internet connection. I've reset the airport, reset the router, etc. I'm now connected via LAN cable directly from the cable modem to my PC. I can't get internet any other way.

I've searched forums, apple's website, etc. I set security as being disabled to start, and never got past that point - so security is not the problem. I've checked firewalls, ip addresses, dhcp settings, etc.

I have cable internet connected through a modem. I do not have a fixed or assigned IP address.

This entire process is incredibly frustrating - and when it seems like I've found a solution things just get worse.

I haven't even unpacked the printer yet...what a waste of time.

Help anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do you have the Cable Modem plugged into the AE? Nothing else in between? If so it's got to be a setting somewhere in the AE OR what Cable provider you using? Some go by the MAC address that every computer, Router ETC has. Since you changed it might be looking for the MAC address the way it was with the Linksys.

EDIT: The AE has no MAC Clone option so IF that is the cause you have to call your ISP. This is part of a review on the AE I just found. Do try what Reel1 suggested first though before you panic.

"Another possible problem with the AE was the inability to change its MAC address, which means people with ISPs that lock on to a particular MAC address will have to call up their provider."
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Lisa you may want to try this.

Disconnect your modem from the power
Discinnect you base station from the power as well.

Wait for 5 mins plug in the modem let it cycle through its startup routine then plug the router back in.

If that doesnt work, the only other thing I remember from the manual is to unplug your base station and while holding in the reset button power it back up.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed with Reel1. I'm guessing you never recycled your cable modem.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree that not reseting the modem can cause the issue, but I have seen the MAC address problem a lot especially with a lot of cable providers. It depends on the ISP.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

I've recycled my router at least 5 times...

I manually set settings for dchp and now I at least have a green light on the airport - but still can't connect to the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I've recycled my router at least 5 times...

I manually set settings for dchp and now I at least have a green light on the airport - but still can't connect to the internet.
Did you do what Reel1 suggested, following the steps to reset the cable modem? Resetting the router is fine, but you really need to reset the cable modem as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

sorry - meant to say modem. I've recycled that a bunch of times as well as resetting the airport
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Lisa try letting the router pickup the connection automatically by selecting just dhcp.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

yep - done that.

(see the title of this thread was changed - sorry mods, that's all I could get out of my head at the time of writing)
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Sorry Lisa, so is this just a printing issue now?
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

no - I haven't even gotten to printing yet. It's a airport extreme/connection issue
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I asked you what your ISP was a few posts back. I asked for a reason.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

My ISP is just a small-town local cable/internet company. The people at the office don't know anything about configurations. They contract with a small remote support company and I wasn't able to get through to them this morning. I'll try again tonight when I get home.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

UPDATE:

I spent all day today working on this - I called my isp regarding the mac address question - and the tech support girl didn't even know what a mac address was...insisted it was exclusive only to macs!!

Then I went back on my own for a long time. I finally called apple tech support and spent almost an hour on the phone with them. They were great - the first person I spoke with did a bunch of diagnostics and determined that the airport base station might be defective - but he wanted to be sure he had exhausted all possibilities so he referred me to the next level. That tech determined that because I couldn't even connect directly from the modem to my MBP that it was definitely an isp issue.

Called my isp again and got a different person. She was much more helpful. We went through all the settings and she said that my isp does not require the modem to lock onto a particular host computer's mac address - she couldn't figure it out and was going to refer it to higher up and have them call me monday.

So I decided to hook up my old linksys router again and go back to square one. Didn't work!! So I decided to clone the mac address within the router setup - bingo! Now all my computers connect wirelessly again - just without the Airport Base station -

So I guess my options are to either get rid of the base station or use it as a bridge for my printer...I don't believe I can get "n" speeds with it going through the linksys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disabling network security | Connecting via Netgear basestation »