New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Disabling network security

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amie

amie is on a distinguished road

Hey
Have just got SKy Broadband and router. Have a wireless imac. The only way I can get it to connect wirelessly (it says it can't accept the password) is if I disable the security for accessing the network.

1. how do I fix this?
2. is it bad having security disabled?

Thanks sooooo much
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

I have a D-Link modem/router and a MacBook. When I installed the modem/router I started using it without configuring any security. My MacBook airport simply picked up the signal and started using the internet. Once the internet was working I went to the D-Link website and set the security.

The only thing that happens if you don't put security is that other people who have wireless computers can access your wireless network.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios1972 View Post
The only thing that happens if you don't put security is that other people who have wireless computers can access your wireless network.
Having said this, here is more info:

"Wireless security is important in the home for the same reasons why it is important in corporations. If you have an unsecured wireless network in your home, anyone in close proximity can spy on your online activities. Depending on how your home network is configured, someone could even gain full access to your computer’s hard drive over an unsecured wireless network.

Even if no one is around that wants to spy on you or perform some malicious action against you, your neighbors could sponge off of your Internet connection. This would not only deprive you of bandwidth that you are paying for, but if your neighbor conducted some illegal activity while online, it could be traced back to your network."
QUOTE Thanks
nemick

nemick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD

If you have a WEP password, simply type a $ sign at the beginning of your password. That will probably do it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« linksys n router? | Problems with networking printer »