High ping times to local router
    I am using a wireless network on a dlink router. When I ping my local router in OSX, the average time is between 50 - 500ms. When I boot into XP via bootcamp, pinging the same router gives me ping times of 1ms.

I have all available software updates for OSX.

There is obviously something wrong here... I would have thought it's a router or interference thing, but because XP works fine, I'm inclined to think it's a problem with OSX.

Do you have any suggestions?

When I ping my router in OS X, I get this:

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.742/1.822/1.994/0.083 ms

If your times are that skewed between Mac and Windows, then there is something else afoot. It isn't an issue with the operating system. Have you tried to ping other addresses?
    Go ahead and ping:
    This address is known as the local loopback address. See what your results are with that.

In the end, I really wouldn't be too upset with ping results. All it really does is tell you if a server is reachable or not. It isn't a very accurate measure of speed or connection quality. You would be better off doing a traceroute for that sort of diagnostic.
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Pinging in OSX gives times under 1 ms. Traceroute takes me to the router in one hop (with the same high ping time).

It's not just ping times that are high, my entire internet connection is slower. I was uploading to an FTP server and the speed was less than 1 kb/s. I then booted into windows and maxed out my ISPs upstream.

Thread Information