New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Bittorrent slow!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stlboi

stlboi is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have a new intel core duo macbook that I use wirelessly about 20 feet away from my airport/cable modem.

Whenever I try to download a torrent via bittorrent, it's really slow, say around 5-20 kbps tops.

Is there any way to speed this up? I tested my speed wirelessly at speakeasy.net and here are the results:

Download Speed: 7178 kbps (897.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 467 kbps (58.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlboi View Post
Hello,

I have a new intel core duo macbook that I use wirelessly about 20 feet away from my airport/cable modem.

Whenever I try to download a torrent via bittorrent, it's really slow, say around 5-20 kbps tops.

Is there any way to speed this up? I tested my speed wirelessly at speakeasy.net and here are the results:

Download Speed: 7178 kbps (897.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 467 kbps (58.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Bittorrent is a give and take system. The more you give, the more you can take. If you're not sharing anything from your system and/or you don't have anything to share, you will not be given bandwidth in return.

See this thread for more detail.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

Hmm, is there one that's not so based on give and take for the mac?
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Bittorrent is a give and take system. The more you give, the more you can take. If you're not sharing anything from your system and/or you don't have anything to share, you will not be given bandwidth in return.

See this thread for more detail.
That's pretty much it. I can speak from personal experience that once you've started sharing or seeding the torrent, the download rate will increase.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmm, is there one that's not so based on give and take for the mac?
The Bittorrent protocol is designed around keeping people from being "leeches". It doesn't matter what client you use, as long as you're downloading from the Bittorrent network, you must give in order to take. This protection is inherent to the protocol.

You could try your luck with a Gnutella client or Usenet, but it really depends on what you're trying to download and how much patience you have in finding it.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

Now when I take my macbook off the wireless airport network and connect it to the hardline, the downloading speed increases a lot, even with the same file.

I would basically start downloading the file wirelessly and it's slow. I disconnect the airport and connect the hard line. I restart the download and the speed increases almost 20 fold.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

BTW, I really appreciate all the help. And the muppet pic is really freaking me out.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Now when I take my macbook off the wireless airport network and connect it to the hardline, the downloading speed increases a lot, even with the same file.

I would basically start downloading the file wirelessly and it's slow. I disconnect the airport and connect the hard line. I restart the download and the speed increases almost 20 fold.
Do you experience slow downloads from other services besides Bittorrent? I can't understand what the difference would be. The average broadband connection is generally between 1-10Mb. Even the slowest wireless network (802.11b) is around 11Mb. So generally, your wireless bandwidth is greater than the maximum throughput from the internet. Even though you usually have 100Mb via Ethernet, you're still only as fast as your weakest link, which would be the speed of your Internet service.

So, unless you're experiencing very slow performance in general over wireless, I can't understand why is would be significantly faster over Ethernet - unless it's some sort of a fluke.

BTW, the avatar is me playing with my iSight camera and my 2-year-old's Cookie Monster puppet.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

Wirelessly, I have no problems on the internet at all besides downloading a torrent. Limewire, for instance, is completely fine. :-/
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Wirelessly, I have no problems on the internet at all besides downloading a torrent. Limewire, for instance, is completely fine. :-/
My only guess would be that your router has port-forwarding or uPnP turned on to allow sharing from the address your Ethernet card acquires when it's connected.

Other than that possibility, I'm just not sure what the difference would be.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

In my case, is my airport considered my router?

EDIT: Basically my setup is cable modem > airport > macbook (wirelessly)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
In my case, is my airport considered my router?

EDIT: Basically my setup is cable modem > airport > macbook (wirelessly)
Yep, Apple uses the term "Airport" to refer to a number of different devices, including the wireless card in your Mac. In this case, what you're referring to as your "airport" is your wireless router.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

Okay, we're probably getting closer here but I still need a couple of things clarified, as I am kinda new to this. What settings should I fool around with in my airport admin utility? I have discovered a section dealing with "port mapping" that is completely empty. There are also tabs like Airport, Internet, Network, Port Mapping, Access Control, WDS, Music. <pulls hair out>
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Okay, we're probably getting closer here but I still need a couple of things clarified, as I am kinda new to this. What settings should I fool around with in my airport admin utility? I have discovered a section dealing with "port mapping" that is completely empty. There are also tabs like Airport, Internet, Network, Port Mapping, Access Control, WDS, Music. <pulls hair out>
I'm not terribly familiar with the Apple router / wireless nomenclature , I'll have to defer to someone else's expertise. I posted a link earlier that had several other links to different Bittorrent configuration guides. These should be able to get you started.
QUOTE Thanks
stlboi

I will take a look, thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple releases Airport Extreme Security Update 2007-02 | Airport compatibility »