New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

All I want to do is PRINT!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

I have searched for days, read numerous posts on different forums, and tried everything I can think of. I still cannot print.

Here's my setup and what I've tried:

MBP printing to networked printer (wireless network) - Canon S520 printer hooked up to Dell XP machine.

My MBP can see the printer but cannot print. Depending on the type of connection I try, I either get the stopped print problem - or an error message about how the server is busy, or no memory, or whatnot.

I've tried to use the standard printer setup within OS/X, I've tried using different drivers including generic ps driver, pre-installed gimp drivers, I've downloaded new gutenprint drivers, new canon drivers, I tried ghostprint, etc. Nothing works. I've tried setting this up as an ip printer, but that doesn't work either.

I can print from other XP laptops to this printer wirelessly but not from the Mac.

I'm about to throw the printer out the window and get a mac printer unless you guys can help me.

Thanks

Oh, and I did read the networking faq thread. Every time I think I found a solution I try it and it doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Did you try connecting the printer directly to the MacBookPro to see if that works?

I've found that the best thing to do is to make sure a direct connection works first, then start messing about with the networking.

What are the steps you're going through to add the printer? Are you choosing Windows Printing in the "Add Printer" dialogue? Are you certain the printer is shared by your Window machine?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

After checking out the manual for this printer, under the Mac portion it states it can be used in an ethernet network environment. Goes on to talk about setting it up on a print server.

Basically what this means is you are not going to be able to print to this printer from OS X while it is attached to a windows machine. You will need a separate print server or a router that will do this job for you. Since you have mentioned having multiple computers, my guess is you have a router. Check and see if your router will support a printer and connect it to that. If not, a new router that will act as a print server will be the least expensive route. Router I am using was about $70, it's a Linksys which I have no problems with, but seems some Mac users do.

This also, really is the best scenario for printing. Then everyone has direct access to the printer without having to worry about whether the PC it is attached to is up and running or not.

edit, I would do as caribiner suggests first with the usb connection and make sure you can print to it.
At least Canon does have drivers for this printer on their site, they have been one of the worst for years at supporting anything but windows.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
After checking out the manual for this printer, under the Mac portion it states it can be used as a ethernet network environment. Goes on to talk about setting it up on a print server....
If it says is can be used as an ethernet printer, it doesn't mean it has to. I have a Samsung printer and the documentation says the same thing-- and I've been able to print through my Windows machine as well as though its own D-Link print server.

If Windows can see the Canon and use it as a printer, Lisa should be able to print to it from the Mac via the Windows Printer Sharing environment once she has the right OS X driver.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

Well, I will definitely look into hooking up the printer through the router - even if that doesn't work for my printing issue, it would eliminate us having to be sure the desktop is up and logged in for any of the wireless machines to print.

THANK YOU!!! I'm going to look at your suggestions - I'll keep you posted so maybe I can help someone else too.

lisa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! WUSB54G v4 | Wireless printing / apple external modem?? »