New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Network Newbie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drtbk4ever

drtbk4ever is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac. 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 Gb 667 MHz Ram

Hi Gang,

I am new to Macs and Networking. I just added a new iMac to my home to run alongside my 6 year old Dell PC (running Windows98). I have a D-link router with the PC hooked in via ethernet cable and the iMac via wireless. I have read most of the post on here and have learned a lot, but still have questions.

Is this now a "network", or does the iMac need to be hooked to the router with an ethernet cable? Or do I need a hub? I would love to reach into my PC and copy some files onto my iMac, can I do that with my setup and if I can, what do I need to do next?

Thanks.

Mac Newbie Bill
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

In System Preferences on the Mac choose Sharing then click the check box next to Windows Sharing. Take note of the Computers Name in the top.
Then on the PC run the add a network places wizard. Thats the quick and dirty version. If you have trouble come back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using 2 Airport Extemes(old & new) on same Network | I appear to connect to my Actiontec router fine but cannot browse the internet »