New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirPort reception

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRJ26

Well, one of my friends is debating b/w the iBook and PowerBook. I tried to convince him that the 12" PowerBook 1Ghz G4 is the best buy, much better than the 12" iBook G4. One thing that he said is bad about the PowerBook is the receptiveness of the AirPort. On Amazon.com, ONE reviewer said that the iBook has better reception than the PB. Is this true? What have your experiences been with both? I would think that if this was true, the reviews of the PowerBooks would cover this, but I have yet to see ONE magazine review that mentions it. My friend says that it's because of the metal enclosure of the PB that interferes with the reception of the AirPort. This makes the iBook's plastic enclosure more suitable. is this true?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The metal casing does affect it a bit but not noticable unless you are running strength tests

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

it wont matter....the airport card is mounted under the keyboard, which is plastic with a thin layer of (probably tin) backing. both are in the same spot on both models.

ive used them both in a school setting... they dont seem to be any different. what will probably make more of a difference is if its airport extreme with an airport extreme base station...

and the reviewer was probably doing something stupid like using them in differnet locations.. and the big brick wall was his problem, not the ibook or powerbook

hope this helps...

***edit***

actually, now that i think about it... the powerbooks might have the card underneath... but it really shouldnt make a difference...nothing should be noticeable
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualG5Lova
it wont matter....the airport card is mounted under the keyboard, which is plastic with a thin layer of (probably tin) backing. both are in the same spot on both models.

ive used them both in a school setting... they dont seem to be any different. what will probably make more of a difference is if its airport extreme with an airport extreme base station...

and the reviewer was probably doing something stupid like using them in differnet locations.. and the big brick wall was his problem, not the ibook or powerbook

hope this helps...

***edit***

actually, now that i think about it... the powerbooks might have the card underneath... but it really shouldnt make a difference...nothing should be noticeable
The card itself is under the keyboard but the receptors are in the screen.....also just the whole thing being metal will slightly lower the reception

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

In the Ti powerbook line, there was reduce reception. I don't know if this still applies.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ26
Well, one of my friends is debating b/w the iBook and PowerBook. I tried to convince him that the 12" PowerBook 1Ghz G4 is the best buy, much better than the 12" iBook G4. One thing that he said is bad about the PowerBook is the receptiveness of the AirPort. On Amazon.com, ONE reviewer said that the iBook has better reception than the PB. Is this true? What have your experiences been with both? I would think that if this was true, the reviews of the PowerBooks would cover this, but I have yet to see ONE magazine review that mentions it. My friend says that it's because of the metal enclosure of the PB that interferes with the reception of the AirPort. This makes the iBook's plastic enclosure more suitable. is this true?
To begin with, depending on what your friend intends to use the machine for, the PowerBook may or may not be the better buy. The $500 price difference could be put towards additional RAM, an Airport Extreme Card, a mouse, speakers, software, etc. In addition, the iBook comes with certain software that the PowerBook doesn't, such as AppleWorks and World Book, which your friend might find useful. Yes, the PowerBook is the more powerful machine, but there are other factors to consider as well.

Regarding the Airport reception, there were complaints and problems with the previous gen. Titanium PowerBooks, but reports seem to indicate that the reception has been much improved with the new PowerBooks, so this is really no longer an issue.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

It definently still applies, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet...I've been able to easily get reception w/o anyproblems anywhere I need it.
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

your all wrong the airport card in the PB is next to the battery (to access the airport card you must first remove the battery). I have no idea how the new iBooks are but all g3 powerbooks you do remove the keyboard to install the airport card but this is not true of powerbooks. The range of iBooks is greater than powerbooks, I have seen reports of this and have experienced this myself, I saw a reduction in range when moving from my old iBook to my new Powerbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Yeah, the airport card is next to the battery...I just installed mine a couple weeks ago. However, this doesn't matter because the actual antenna that plugs into the card, is around the lining of the LCD screen. With the TiBooks this was a huge problem, and they had horrible wireless reception. The new aluminum Powerbooks have a plastic rim around the edge of the monitor now, so that the metal doesn't block the signal so much. I've found in testing that my Powerbook has just as good reception as my Dell Inspiron (which has an external wireless card).
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
With the TiBooks this was a huge problem, and they had horrible wireless reception.
Dunno what you're talking about... my reception rocks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 and AirPort Questions | Airport Extreme Card »