New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook will not connect theo Linkys Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

max.dor

max.dor is on a distinguished road

We have two computer, a windows laptop and a mac book.
The mac book runs Mac OS X, v. 10.3.8 and we got it around Christmas and everything worked fine to about a week ago and it wont connect to the internet. It finds the router fine but the internet still wont work. Please, any help will work. I'm not sure about the Mac lingo so please do a clear walk through. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

You're most likey running 10.4.8 - 10.3.8 cannot run on a MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.dor View Post
We have two computer, a windows laptop and a mac book.
The mac book runs Mac OS X, v. 10.3.8 and we got it around Christmas and everything worked fine to about a week ago and it wont connect to the internet. It finds the router fine but the internet still wont work. Please, any help will work. I'm not sure about the Mac lingo so please do a clear walk through. Thanks in advance.
I've found that the most recent Airport updates (automatically downloaded via Software Update) has some problems with WPA encryption. I'd recommend upgrading your Linksys router's firmware and switching encryption to WPA2. Turning SSID broadcast on will also greatly enhance your connection's resiliency as well. This wasn't the case for me prior to the update.
QUOTE Thanks
max.dor

max.dor is on a distinguished road

can you give me a small walk through for that?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.dor View Post
can you give me a small walk through for that?
The process will vary depending on the make/model of your router. But in general, all you do is login to the router's configuration page (should be described in your manual) and go under "wireless security settings". From there, you should be able to choose between different security types. If WPA2 is not available, you may need to get a firmware update from the manufacturer's website. Once you download that file, you'll usually go to a "status" or "update" tab in the router's configuration page and then upload the file you just downloaded from there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac no longer connects to wireless router | Airport Dropping Connection? »