New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

The alias could not be opened

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Merlyn

Merlyn is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have three computers over a wifi network. One OSX (10.4), one Windows XP :eek: :eek:, and one Linux Kubuntu.

I am just starting to try and network them together.

My Mac can see the other machines on the network, however I get an error every time I try to connect:

The alias "xxx" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.

Delete Alias, Fix Alias, OK.

All options lead to a dead end. "Ok" ignores it. Fix Alias opens up Finder. Delete Alias says The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges. (I have admin rights)

I would appreciate any assistance in networking the machines, please.

Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
willi20852

willi20852 is on a distinguished road

When the prompt asks for the user name put in something else or leave that field blank. I don't think it would work if a password is required.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

I noted the same the same error in iPhoto for any photo i modify with NX2 and put back into iPhoto. I looked in the "originals" folder inside my iPhoto library and found hundreds (thousands?) of alias's - many of them going to pictures i know i deleted. What is up with iPhoto? is there an "index" problem? i have almost 25,000 photos at 100GB (backed up on 2 other drives) but this is scary. Maybe time to get off iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmezz View Post
Maybe time to get off iPhoto.
Well, if you have an Intel mac you might want to give Picasa a try

Picasa for Mac: Free download from Google

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

i might give it a test try. Thank you for the quick response. I never erased any files from the iPhoto library folder that would cause the original to be gone and the alias to still be in iPhone app. I just tested a few pics. moved them to desktop, changed the name, imported back to iPhoto - moved desktop file to trash -and no problems. this intermittent "alias can't find original" is what is confusing. if it was consistent i would understand how it happens and could work with it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Airport problems | Airport Extreme with Motorola sbv5121e »