New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Need Help configuring Wireless router with my macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Enlite

Enlite is on a distinguished road

Hi, I actually bought my macbook last year (Black, 2 Ghz, 1GB Ram, 80 GB). And well I had another computer at the time. So I had purchased a linksys wireless-G 2.4Ghz router as well. Now the problem is, I cannot use the internet at all when I try setting up a WEP password on the router. The only computer that worked with the password was the computer with the router. So what I had to do was leave my router as an unsecured one. Which worried me alittle due to the fact I knew that people could easily leech off it. I've made many attempts in the past, and everytime I try a WEP password the error I get is like "error with airport" or something to that extent. Now.... about 5 months ago, I had installed bootcamp and installed windows on the mac. When I tried doing a WEP password with this side of the mac it actually worked. But I wanted it to work for my mac as well. I have no idea what the problem is here.... and yes, I know that I am indeed typing in the right key, so no mistake there.
Any help or comments would be greatly appriciated~
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

When you type your WEP password, put a $ as the first character. Don't know why, but I had to do the same thing with my linksys wireless.
QUOTE Thanks
Enlite

Enlite is on a distinguished road

wow! Thanks! It actually worked. Thank you so so much. It was a problem I've been having for a year, and now its fixed.
The reason I had to ask know was because, I have reason to believe some people around me are leeching off my interent. I've been lagging really bad lately, so I just turned of my macbook, and my regular comp. Yet the light on my dsl box kept blinking, meaning someone was using it. Now I feel amazing safer. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Just doing my thing to make it a more Mac friendly world!

Enjoy your full Mac experience now!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dude

Mac Dude will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
When you type your WEP password, put a $ as the first character. Don't know why, but I had to do the same thing with my linksys wireless.
I just learned this tonight from Linksys tech support. I had the same problem with not being able to secure my network, now I know the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If I remember correctly the $ means to look at the following string as hex string of characters instead of an ascii string of characters.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
macnoobie13

macnoobie13 is on a distinguished road

I seem to be having the same problem, then again I guess not..it didn't seem to work with my Wi-Fi problems, but I have a Telus Modem/Router, and I don't think I have "Fast Dial-up" service. Anyone else have some easy fixes?

Cheers

The Mac Nublet
:bomb:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wi-Fi Problem | Staying Connected to a Share Drive »