New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wireless printinf problem...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kman118

kman118 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" Core 2 Duo - 2.16 GHz - 2Gb RAM - 256 Mb Graphics

I have a dell computer hooked up to a dsl modem which sends wireless internet to my imac. Connected to the dell computer is a dell photo all-in-one printer. I am not have good luck with wireless printing. I went into system prefs and it found the printer and everything, but when I go to print something no box pops up and nothing prints. I've heard you need certain drivers for some printers, but I haven't been able to find any drivers for a dell printer anywhere. Does anyone know what I should do?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Could this be a firewall issue? Most DSL modem/router boxes contain a firewall, and it may be blocking your dialogs? I know that this is a long shot, but perhaps you could try turning off the firewall on the modem/router and try again. If it works, you know you have found your culprit.

You present this as a wireless printing problem - does this mean that it works if you connect the iMac to the DSL modem/router directly via cable vs. wireless?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman118 View Post
I have a dell computer hooked up to a dsl modem which sends wireless internet to my imac. Connected to the dell computer is a dell photo all-in-one printer. I am not have good luck with wireless printing. I went into system prefs and it found the printer and everything, but when I go to print something no box pops up and nothing prints. I've heard you need certain drivers for some printers, but I haven't been able to find any drivers for a dell printer anywhere. Does anyone know what I should do?
What exactly do you mean by "found the printer"?

If the printer is conected to the Dull then you will need to set the Dull up to be a print server, that sort of thing is gonna get complicated real quick.

How is the printer connected up, via USB? What OS are you running on the Dull, Xp, Win98, Linux?

Far too many variables here to really be of much help I'm afraid.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
kman118

Ok, well I can't connect the two computers by a cable, ones upstairs and ones downstairs, and I don't have a choice to move the printer either.

What I meant by it found the printer is when I went into system prefs/ print and fax and went to add a printer, I clicked "More Printers..." and the dell computer showed up, I clicked that and it told me to put in a password, then the printer came up, "Dell Photo AIO Printer 955" so I clicked that and it showed up in the main printer configuration box.

I have the printer connected to the dell set to sharing over the server.

The printer is connected to the dell by a usb, and the dell is running xp.

I will try to turn off the firewall and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Your issue is likely related to the driver that the Mac chose to use for your Dell AIO. In all likelihood, Mac OS chose to use a Generic Postscript driver and that's probably not going to work.

Dell doesn't provide driver support for Mac OS. That's not necessarily the end of the road for your Dell printer since it is very likely just a rebadged Lexmark. The trick is to figure out what Lexmark model shares the guts with your Dell. Once you figure that out, you can just go to Lexmark's site and download the appropriate driver.

That said, if the Lexmark driver is not "network aware" (i.e. it just assumes that you have the printer connected via USB, you'll need to find a generic Gimp-print driver that will work with it.

That raises the degree of difficulty in getting it to work to another order of magnitude.

I'll do a little research and let you know what I find out.

My advice is that if you need a network printer, buy a new one that has built-in network support and a Mac driver.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

BTW, is the model number really 955? I can't seem to find any reference information on that particular machine.
QUOTE Thanks
kman118

Oh sorry, yeah it's actually 922, not 955...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with networking?? | What speeds? mbp to mb using wifi »