New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless Router problems with iMac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spastik.roach

Spastik.roach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook g3 900mhz 256mb ram 40gb, 2.16ghz 20" iMac, 1gb ram 250gb hd.

Hello all, am new here.

I've recently purchased a new G5 20" iMac, but have hit a snag trying to set up the internet.

I'm using a D-link Dl-524 router and a D-link DSL-502T, followed all the instructions (they had instructions for setting up with a mac included).

The network status says built in ethernet working, that I have an i.p and i'm connected to the internet, but the diagnostics say the internet isn't working, and ofcourse I can't get on to any websites.

I need a username and password on my windows computer to connect to the internet, (which I do using just a normal DSL modem, this situation with the iMac is the first time i've tried to set up a wireless network too), so i'm thinking I need to use a PPoE connection, but there are no instructions on how to use this...

Any help would be great.

BTW the iMac and the iBook I bought were purchased a couple of weeks ago, they are my first macs as my family and I decided we were sick of windows...as so many people do!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Does your DSL Modem have a PPPoE Dialer? What brand model is the modem? If not you set up the PPPoE in the DI-524. I have a DI-524 here. I can help if you need help setting it up.
QUOTE Thanks
Spastik.roach

Hello all, am new here.

I've recently purchased a new G5 20" iMac, but have hit a snag trying to set up the internet.

I'm using a D-link Dl-524 router and a D-link DSL-502T, followed all the instructions (they had instructions for setting up with a mac included).

The network status says built in ethernet working, that I have an i.p and i'm connected to the internet, but the diagnostics say the internet isn't working, and ofcourse I can't get on to any websites.

I need a username and password on my windows computer to connect to the internet, (which I do using just a normal DSL modem, this situation with the iMac is the first time i've tried to set up a wireless network too), so i'm thinking I need to use a PPoE connection, but there are no instructions on how to use this...

Any help would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
Spastik.roach

My Modem is a D-link DSL-502T

I'm not too sure if my modem has a PPPoE dialer...

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Dlink DSL-502T is both a DSL Modem and Router. You can't use Two routers at the same time. You can use your Dlink DI-524 as a WiFi Access point to provide your Mac Internet Wirelessly. Still reading up on the DSL-502t.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

It sounds as though you have MAC filtering turned on in the router, so it isn't giving your iMac a regular IP address, but one like 169.x.x.x (I don't remember the other values). Turn MAC filtering off or, better yet for security, add your iMac's MAC address to your router (open Terminal, type in ifconfig en0 and write down the MAC address next to the word ether. It should be an alpha-numeric series of numbers and letters like: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Spastik.roach.

You have more replies in the duplicate thread you posted here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53698.
QUOTE Thanks
Spastik.roach

Wether I use the DSL-502T or not, I just need a way to network the i-mac and my i-book together wirelessly, with them both using the internet. Will this be possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Spastik.roach

Sorry about that duplicate thread, not sure how it happend, can they be merged?

How can I turn off mac filtering Karudzo...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastik.roach View Post
Sorry about that duplicate thread, not sure how it happend, can they be merged?
Alread taken care of. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Proxy issue | Unstable wireless connection »