New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook Pro - Can't connect to wireless network, but other's can...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rizzo

Rizzo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone

Hey everybody I have a question. When I take my laptop to one of my classes in particular, I cannot connect to the campus network. I get the message, "There was an error joining the network 'ASU'." At first I didn't care because I thought I was just out of range or whatever but today I noticed other people on the internet and they seem to be connected fine. I also sat by a kid with a MacBook and asked if he ever had any problems connecting to the campus network and he said no. So it seems that it must be my computer that is having problems connecting, right? What can I do? Thanks!:black:
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you asked your school's IT department to check this out for you yet?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

No I didn't even think about that since it's not really a universal problem for everyone, it's just me..?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

There could be specific settings that need to be entered in your networking preferences. The only people that would be able to tell you what those are with 100% accuracy are your school's IT department. You should get in touch with them.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Hmmm maybe I'll ask them then. Is that all I can do? There's nothing wrong with my laptop right?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Can you connect to other WiFi networks without problems?
QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Yeah, in my dorm and in all my other classes and at the library I can connect to the main campus network fine. And when I go home to my parents house I connect to their wireless network. I have never had any problems before.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Yeah, in my dorm and in all my other classes and at the library I can connect to the main campus network fine. And when I go home to my parents house I connect to their wireless network. I have never had any problems before.
I agree with DB, Check with the network people and see if there is something special there that needs setting. The very fact another person with a macbook can connect shows it's not some OSX issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Yeah that's what freaked me out. I'll just give them a call tomorrow I guess. I just hope nothing is wrong with my airport card or anything.
QUOTE Thanks
green6767

green6767 is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue on campus aswell. Its intermittent though. I'll be sitting in the lecture auditorium and sometimes I get a slight signal, other times there is not signal an I cannot connect. Same error too. I look around and again, I see alot of non-macs connected. I also sat next to a macbook and she was connected fine and I didn't have signal. I would wait bout 10 minutes and I would get a slight signal for like 30 seconds or so. Sounds like a computer specific settings issue. I spose I could try calling my IT department too.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

my school has a wifi network that uses the leap protocol.

this could be the exact reason its not letting you on, your lappy isnt configured properly.

im 99% sure its software related, after all it works everywhere else.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

Is you system software up to date?
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

i have the same problem at my school.....none of the tech support guys could ever figure it out, then one day it just started working again.....never could figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Yeah, my software is up to date.

Kgeier, is there anything I can do to "configure" it properly?

I talked to IT today and they said it must be my computer since others are allowed on but not mine. They did say that the particular building I was in only has certain areas that have wireless access but I must be in that part since others are capable of getting on.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

try trashing all of the airport related p.list files in your library/preferences folder
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G3 and wireless internet - need help | My wireless has a mind of it's own and won't let me control it »