Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Feb 05, 2007
    Location
    Stanford, CA
    Posts
    1
    Question "There was an error joining the wireless network X" *not the same as the prior thread
    Hello, I recently switched to Mac from PC.

    I've had my Intel-based MacBook since December 2006 and have been able to connect to my home wireless network (router: 2WIRE, internet provider: comcast) without any problem.

    Just two weeks ago, I couldn't connect to my home network anymore. It gave me the error message "there was an error joining the wirless network 2WIRE576". I didn't change any of my mac setting at all. Maybe the only thing I did was that I downloaded the security update for Airport Extreme.

    However, I'm able to connect without any problem in other wireless networks (my school wireless network, apple store network, even at my friend's place). I talked to the Genius Bar and they said everything is working fine. So I thought it was my home network. However, my other housemates are having no problem with the network, i.e. they're still able to connect fine and without any problems. They're using PC though. One of them has a Mac desktop (PowerPC) and it connects to the router with cable and it's connecting alright to the internet.

    So, my hypothesis right now is the fact that I have Intel-based Mac. And is it because the latest security update for Airport Extreme?

    Thank you much in advance for your help guys,

    Alvin

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,926
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by nineseconds View Post
    Hello, I recently switched to Mac from PC.

    I've had my Intel-based MacBook since December 2006 and have been able to connect to my home wireless network (router: 2WIRE, internet provider: comcast) without any problem.

    Just two weeks ago, I couldn't connect to my home network anymore. It gave me the error message "there was an error joining the wirless network 2WIRE576". I didn't change any of my mac setting at all. Maybe the only thing I did was that I downloaded the security update for Airport Extreme.

    However, I'm able to connect without any problem in other wireless networks (my school wireless network, apple store network, even at my friend's place). I talked to the Genius Bar and they said everything is working fine. So I thought it was my home network. However, my other housemates are having no problem with the network, i.e. they're still able to connect fine and without any problems. They're using PC though. One of them has a Mac desktop (PowerPC) and it connects to the router with cable and it's connecting alright to the internet.

    So, my hypothesis right now is the fact that I have Intel-based Mac. And is it because the latest security update for Airport Extreme?

    Thank you much in advance for your help guys,

    Alvin
    I'm guessing you're having the exact same problem I had. First try switching your router over to WPA2 if it's currently set to WPA encryption. If that does the trick, leave it alone. If not, you can revert back to the original driver by following the steps included in this article.

  3. #3

    Macbooker15's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2007
    Posts
    39
    Specs:
    MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
    no!!
    I Dont Have A Macfixit Account, And I Need The Instructions!!
    Why Upgrade to Vista When You can buy a Mac?

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,926
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbooker15 View Post
    I Dont Have A Macfixit Account, And I Need The Instructions!!
    You do realize I wrote that post almost 5 months ago, don't you?

    It's been so long since I posted that, they have actually removed the instructions. Even still, Apple has released several updates to the Airport drivers since then, making that particular problem largely irrelevant.

    Try enabling SSID broadcast and switching to WPA2. That should correct your issues.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5

    Macbooker15's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2007
    Posts
    39
    Specs:
    MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
    no but i need to get the older Airport driver because of my faulty airport driver
    Why Upgrade to Vista When You can buy a Mac?

  6. #6

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,926
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbooker15 View Post
    no but i need to get the older Airport driver because of my faulty airport driver
    I don't think you understand what's happened since that time.

    Apple released a faulty version of the Airport driver in February. The link I posted contains instructions on how to revert to the version prior to that. Since that time, Apple has come out with two newer revisions that correct the problem.

    Long story made short, reverting to the older driver is now irrelevant.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
  2. There was an error joining the AirPort network "..."
    By Hylian in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 05:36 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
  4. computers will "see" wireless network, but will not access internet...says "no ip add
    By jubileeprecept in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
  5. "Error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X"
    By blinddevil in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •