New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Which is better?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

I will be getting a MBP soon and I will be using wireless 50% of the time.

Would an Airport Base Station work better than a Linksys G wireless router?

There would be another PC using the wireless and I would need to hook them up with the Ethernet cord too.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Airport Base Station is my personal favorite. Sorry, I am bias.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
Airport Base Station is my personal favorite. Sorry, I am bias.
I am new to the Mac world, so I really don't know what works better and what doesn't.

Plus with the Airport, I could use the Wirless N with my MBP, which is a plus.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

At least according to Apple's web site, the 802.11n functionality will only be available if all hardware connected to the wireless network is operating on "n" ... so if you have a non-"n" computer or printer or wireless HDD on your network, everything drops to 802.11g anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

If you plan on exponating your airport base station on a crystal stand in the center of your living room, then yes, the airport is the better choice.

Technically, there is at this point no proof of higher performance. But I believe the Airport has some cool additional features which you might wanna check out.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
If you plan on exponating your airport base station on a crystal stand in the center of your living room, then yes, the airport is the better choice.

Technically, there is at this point no proof of higher performance. But I believe the Airport has some cool additional features which you might wanna check out.
Is it worth the $180 though?

If linksys will work, I will probably just stay with it.

QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric06 View Post
Is it worth the $180 though?

If linksys will work, I will probably just stay with it.
Well, It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want simply to access internet $180 is probably not a sensible investment. However AirPort Extreme Base Station is not just a Wireless modem. It can also be used as a print server and you can even connect few external HDDs through a USB hub and access from any Mac/PC in your local network. If you are buying a new MBP you can use internet x5 faster than the linksys modem.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
If you are buying a new MBP you can use internet x5 faster than the linksys modem.
Only if your internet connection is faster than the 802.11g standard. Since most DSL and cable connections are hovering around the 1-2 Mbps range, and 802.11g will transfer at 54 Mbps nominally, an "old" 802.11g network is already pushing data a lot faster than you can bring it into your home through DSL or cable. In fact, the older 802.11b standard is rated for 11 Mbps, which is still much, much faster than your internet connection unless you have a dedicated trunk line in your house.

What "n" will give you is the ability to transfer files from your computer to another on the network, or to a networked HDD, or something like the Apple TV, at much faster speeds than the current 802.11g can deliver.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

like the poster abover me said N will not give you any benifit unless your running a server or something.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Nope, no server.

The wireless printer would be cool though.

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

While I'm sure there are exceptions, the amount of data you're sending to a printer is usually so small that the increase in speed from 11 Mbps to 54 Mbps to 540 Mbps is going to be pretty much meaningless.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
While I'm sure there are exceptions, the amount of data you're sending to a printer is usually so small that the increase in speed from 11 Mbps to 54 Mbps to 540 Mbps is going to be pretty much meaningless.
Thanks for all the help. I think I will stick with the linksys wireless router for now.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport | Macbook networking/printer help »