New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

"Error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blinddevil

blinddevil is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I did the latest security update on my macbook, and since that i havent been able to connect to my wireless network or to any other network at all, but it works fine when i connect it via cable. The error it gives me says "There was an error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X" and ive tried to rebooting, turning off/on the airport and nothing. Does anyone knows how to fix it? Ive seen many ppl with the same issue but noone knows how to fix it . Imma take it to the apple store tomorow to see what they say.

THanks for your help

Juan
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddevil View Post
Hey guys, I did the latest security update on my macbook, and since that i havent been able to connect to my wireless network or to any other network at all, but it works fine when i connect it via cable. The error it gives me says "There was an error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X" and ive tried to rebooting, turning off/on the airport and nothing. Does anyone knows how to fix it? Ive seen many ppl with the same issue but noone knows how to fix it . Imma take it to the apple store tomorow to see what they say.

THanks for your help

Juan
There are apparently some flaws with the latest wireless update and third-party wireless routers which has been confirmed in Apple's own support forums. I too had a similar problem that could only be resolved by reverting back to the old driver. This process is detailed in this thread. I also had some limited success switching my router over to WPA2 instead of WPA, but I found that it was still not totally reliable and ended up going back to the original driver.
QUOTE Thanks
blinddevil

thanks ill do that today
QUOTE Thanks
adrianmoore

adrianmoore will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 dual 1.8 / G4 Dual 867 / iBook G3

yep, i have also had this, and fixed it by using a 128bit WEP instead of WPA
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianmoore View Post
yep, i have also had this, and fixed it by using a 128bit WEP instead of WPA
Just keep in mind that WEP is a lot more easily broken than WPA. If you live in a relatively rural area, this may not be of concern, but it is something to keep in mind if you're as paranoid as I am. Try WPA2 if your router supports it, I did have better luck although I found that the connection breaks a bit more readily (it does reconnect easier under WPA2).
QUOTE Thanks
adrianmoore

yes true, i do live out in the sticks so to speak.
Here :- http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/wpa-vs-wep.php article about wep vs wpa , Some routers may need a firmware update i guess for WPA2?
QUOTE Thanks
blinddevil

cwa07...its your airport working now that u did the downgrading thingy?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
cwa07...its your airport working now that u did the downgrading thingy?
Yes, it's working perfectly. However, one of the reasons for the update in the first place was to address a security flaw in the driver that could allow a hacker to compromise your MacBook if they happened to be on the same LAN as you. Granted, this risk is remote, but it IS possible. So, someone suggested that switching to WPA2 might lessen the problem. I did this, then again installed the update and found that indeed, the problem wasn't as bad. However, it still occasionally dropped connection in areas of low signal within my house. That being the case, I left my router set to WPA2 and again reverted back to the original driver. Since then, no problems with dropped connections and better performance with WPA2.

To answer adrianmoore's question regarding how to enable WPA2 - yes, you might need to upgrade firmware on your router. This might be a good idea anyway if you are having problems, several people who have experienced this issue have rectified it with a firmware upgrade and not changing any settings. That said, your router (even with a newer firmware version) may not support WPA2. In my case, my router was already on the latest version and it was simply a matter of switching a dropdown box from WPA Personal to WPA2 Personal. My MacBook Pro immediately noticed the difference and switched accordingly. My Windows notebook required a manual change, but does work as well now.
QUOTE Thanks
adrianmoore

Thanks cwa107 i'll see if there is an update lurking for my netgear, though there are not many wireless networks near me, its still wise to run the best security
QUOTE Thanks
blinddevil

oh ok, im gonna do it right now, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
blinddevil

ok i got the Mac OS X for Intel (10.4.8) and the pacifist, but i dont see any folder called system, library or extension and i dont see the IO80211Family.kext
QUOTE Thanks
blinddevil

could anyone that already did this, post the file here,so i can download it? thanks for ur help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
ok i got the Mac OS X for Intel (10.4.8) and the pacifist, but i dont see any folder called system, library or extension and i dont see the IO80211Family.kext
Open the OS X for Intel DMG file. This should mount it as a disk on your desktop. Open and install Pacifist. Run Pacifist, it should put a window on your desktop that you can drag things into. Now, drag the package file trom the OS X for Intel virtual disk and drop it onto the Pacifist window. Pacifist will show you the structure of the package. Click the triangle next to System, go to Library, go to Extensions and then drag and drop IO80211Family.kext to your desktop. Then, open your Macintosh HD, go to System -> Extensions and drag and drop the file you just extracted into that directory. You'll get a warning that you this can't be done, but click the "Authenticate" button, type your password and it will do it anyway. Then, reboot your system.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
could anyone that already did this, post the file here,so i can download it? thanks for ur help guys!
It's too big - there's a 1MB attachment size limit. Let's see if I can put it up on my webspace for you.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Try this link:

http://cwa107.home.comcast.net/IO80211Family.kext.zip

You will need to unzip the file before you drag it into ~/System/Extensions directory
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« open VPN | New Airport Extreme - am i being dense? »