New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iBook - Airport

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Ok, I really don't get how all the different numbers compare. I'm talking about the speed of airport and airport extreme. When I bought my 900 Mhz
G3 iBook (about 2 months ago), I also bought one of those USB wireless adapters because I didn't feel like spending as much as the original airport cards are going for. Well, the $40 USB dongle has died on me and the company is not helpful at all. I'm now looking to buy an original airport card. I'm wondering how much, if any, speed I will lose. Like the airport extreme, the USB adapter was rated at 54 Mbps. At times, I had download speeds in the 900 KB/s. Any ideas what my max download speed will be with an airport card? Anyone looking to unload an airport card?

~Damien
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Well 802.11g (which I assume is what your dongle(haha, dongle) was) is rated at 54Mbit/s max, and you'll get about 24Mbit/s out of it on average. 802.11b, which is the origional Airport standard, is only rated for 14Mbit/s max, and will typically only be able to get like 6.5 Mbit/s. Your probably looking at about 1/4th as fast. Depending on your setup, you might be ably to get a little bit more than that out of it, but I wouldn't guess too much more.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Okay, thanks for the info. I figured that somebody on here would know enough about this stuff to help me. Very helpful!

~Damien
QUOTE Thanks
rogueace

rogueace is on a distinguished road

Exactly right Jeff, any wireless card will most always get about half the speed it is rated at, no matter who makes it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac on Airport, PC on Router | Which is better? »