New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirPort Extreme, and D-Link Wireless Router?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Oz3

Oz3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook - 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo - 2GB RAM - 80 GB HD

Aite, I got an iBook...and I wanna know if I get an AirPort Extreme card, will it be able to work with my 802.11g D-Link Router? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

yep it will work fine

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz3
Aite, I got an iBook...and I wanna know if I get an AirPort Extreme card, will it be able to work with my 802.11g D-Link Router? Thanks
I had a similar concern when I first bought my iBook and wanted to connect it to my Linksys wireless network. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was easier to setup my Mac on the network than it was with my PC laptop that was actually using a Linksys card.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

Thats exactly what im doing, I use my 12" powerbook with airport extreme with my dlink dl-524 802.11g wireless router and it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
Perniks

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam80
Thats exactly what im doing, I use my 12" powerbook with airport extreme with my dlink dl-524 802.11g wireless router and it works great.

I'm doing the same thing, and my new G5 is responding tot he signals- but the thing is, it isn't getting great signals and it also isn't being recognized by the PC's as part of the network. Isn't there a way that i can add the G5 to the PC network?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

you need to make sure that the domain you are using on the pc is called WORKGROUP i believe or whatever the standard domain settings is for 2000 server..ill update later when im at home, by default XP will make the domain MSHOME forsome reason the mac wont show up with that domain i found this out when setting up my 2000 server at home i was able to see the powerbook in the server but not on xp machines..check'd settings and changed my domain and now my powerbook will show up under the network neighbourhood icon on the desktop
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerbookG417
you need to make sure that the domain you are using on the pc is called WORKGROUP i believe or whatever the standard domain settings is for 2000 server..ill update later when im at home, by default XP will make the domain MSHOME forsome reason the mac wont show up with that domain i found this out when setting up my 2000 server at home i was able to see the powerbook in the server but not on xp machines..check'd settings and changed my domain and now my powerbook will show up under the network neighbourhood icon on the desktop
You can change the workgroup your mac is a member of by going to Applications > Utilities > Directory Access

Click the lock and unlock the settings, then select SMB and click CONFIGURE. The workgroup name can be changed there to match the name of your home network.

Jerry
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mac.pc.networking.server.issues. | .mac.pc.networking.server.issues. »