New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wireless router questions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Geardaddys

Geardaddys is on a distinguished road

Hi All..

New to Mac, and new to networking.. hope that the process goes smoothly.. Anyway, I've read good reviews regarding the Linksys WRT54G series routers for my MacBook.. I also see that there is a WRT54GS that supposedly has a "speed booster" built into it.. Will this technology help me with a new MacbooK? I don't mind spending the extra 2-30 for the faster connection, but don't want to if it won't matter..

I'll be connecting the router to a PC with Verizon DSL internet service hooked up to it.. Thanks for any advice you can provide a fledgling mac newbie!

John..
QUOTE Thanks
Patronus

Patronus is on a distinguished road

Why would you not want Apple's new Airport Extreme?
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

The linksys is about US$50 . . . the "old" Extreme is about 2.5x that, and the "new" Extreme (just announced) is $180 at Apple.com.

I bought an Extreme and love it, but I needed the network printer option so that made its price more reasonable (after adding the price of a wireless print server to the linksys).
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Your purchase of a Linksys Wireless will be fine, I have one and am connected to the internet through it on an iMac, Linux pc, XP pc and a MacBook. Router works great.
QUOTE Thanks
Foosa

Foosa is on a distinguished road

speed booster only works when you have the speed booster router and Nic/adapter. And I generally think of it as a way for linksys to get more money for the same product. It maybe faster, but you will never know the difference. Save some bills and just get the wrt54g not the wrt54gs.

If the wrt54g ever gives you any problems you can flash it will DD-wrt firmware. which is much more reliable and more customizable than the linksys firmware.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook & FTP problem | Hubs and their limitations in regards to older macbooks. »