New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can you use USB hub on Airport Wireless Base Station?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I am looking into getting the new Airport Wireless Base Station and like the idea of the USB port to plug in a USB printer or hard drive. I have a USB printer that I want to plug in but as well in the future I may plug in a USB drive that I may use as a data drive (documents for office, itunes media, etc. I may even use it as a backup to backup data from my two laptops. I know there's only one USB port but my question is can I use any type of USB hub on it to make it into 2 or more USB ports?
I like this new version a lot. I wish it had gigabit lan though but I've looked at many alternative routers. Some are very nice but I can't find the USB ports and as well I like Apple's products for the ease of use and set up.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'm not positive on this with the Normal Base Stations, but the express only will accept a printer, so you may not be able to use the hub, and HD.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

On the new one that will be shipping in Feb yes, the old one no. The new one is meant to have a hard drive whereas the old one was only for a printer.

QUOTE Thanks
RickR

RickR has a little shameless behaviour in the past

can you connect a dvd burner for backup reasons across the network (via USB of course)?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
can you connect a dvd burner for backup reasons across the network (via USB of course)?
I really doubt it. If you could I don't see how it would help you, you would still need to load in the DVD then walk back to where your computer is.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Airport base station-Gigabit, etc. | Can I use both Wi-Fi (Airport) and Gigabit LAN on Mac Pro at same time? »