New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can you connect an hd directly to a network?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Soundhound

Soundhound is on a distinguished road

is there a way to hook up a hard drive directly to an airport extreme, or do you have to connect it to a mac and then to the extreme?

I have an extreme as the base station and several airport expresses each connnected to a stereo in different rooms around the house. I want to be able to play music off the big hard drive, controlling it from various laptops carried around the house, and send the tunes to whichever room in the house I want to. Is there any way to do this without having to hook up a mac directly to the extreme/hard drive full of music, acting as a server?

This is all pretty convoluted. Maybe the issue is just this:

Can a hard disk be connected directly to an airport extreme and show up on the network? Or does it have to be connected to a mac, and THEN to the airport?
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

you could get a network hard drive enclosure and hook it directly up to the extreme i think.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

looks like you're looking for something like this:
networked hard drives at bby
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Regular external drives are not NAS (Network Attached Storage) drives. NAS drives can connect to a network and have the ability to have an IP address and show up on all of the computers on the network

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

trpnmonkey41 is correct. I have seen quite a few externals with Network NAS. Iomega makes a couple, LaCie, WD and others. I almost bought one once as here it would be handy sometimes but never did get one. Will in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

well i'm glad matt and i were able to answer the question...

QUOTE Thanks
Soundhound

Soundhound is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. Since I already have a 500 gig lacie drive ( non networked) that I put all the music (itunes files) on, someone suggested I get one of these:

""a Network Attached Storage box for about $75 (Coolmax CN-550) that also has a USB 2.0 port"

I'm thinking maybe I could go from my lacie d2 500 gig to the coolmax via usb, and then from the Coolmax to the airport extreme via ethernet. Do you think that would work for what I'm trying to do: get the lacie drive to show up on the network?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Broadband for Mac | airport networking »