New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Trying to connect Bluetooth Printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Help! Just unpacked my new imac and I'm trying to add Canon MP460 printer with bluetooth. I plugged in a Kensington bluetooth usb adpater 2.0 into the computers usb port. I've already loaded the CD but...
The utility set up WILL NOT show me any printers to select. Nada! Mac doesn't have many options, just need to somehow get this printer to come up in the the utilities. The salesperson just says to plug it in and follow instructions. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks very much.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

is this printer a bluetooth printer? i didn't think it was.
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Good question...The salesman said it was bluetooth and sold me the usb adapter. But one never knows. I'll check with the printers tech support tomorrow. I don't see a reference to bluetooth in the specs though. But it does have a page about performing Bluetooth communication for printing photos from a bluetooth mobile phone using the bluetooth unit BU-20 and to refer to the bluetooth user's guide (which didn't come with). Those instructions say to plug the bluetooth unit into the direct print port (the "store" showed me to use the usb port on the "computer." This is very confusing to say the least.
QUOTE Thanks
SunsetRoadzter

SunsetRoadzter will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD

Ok question could you plug the bluetooth usb adapter into the printer's usb? Is that possible that it could work that way? I don't know but that would be nice wouldn't it?

What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
SunsetRoadzter

SunsetRoadzter will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD

I think I answered my own question. Hp is making them now here's a pic from there website. I'm going to compusa to get a bluetooth adapter and try it.

What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've been looking for answers and this is the first thread I've found that looked remotely relevant.

Carol: I believe the answer to your question is that while your Canon printer is bluetooth capable, you must purchase the optional Canon BU-20 bluetooth adapter for the printer and then a bluetooth adapter for your computer. What I'm not sure about is whether the scanning functionality will be available through bluetooth.

I have a Canon PIXMA MP500 multifunction printer. Since I moved into my new house and my office is configured differently, I've been wanting to relocate my printer to a different area of the same room, but there's no way to run a USB cable to it. I'm thinking about springing for both an adapter for my desktop PC and the one for the printer. I'll let you know how (or if) it works out.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Back when I got my iMac and new printer, I just didn't know anything about how to connect the BT.

However, as usual, it was very easy. I was trying to plug the BT adaptor into the computer when it should have been plugged into my printer! When I did that, it just worked. Of course, I had to find my printer from a list, etc. But after that it has worked flawlessly ever since. I totally love wireless!

I don't think you'll have any problems.

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol247 View Post
Back when I got my iMac and new printer, I just didn't know anything about how to connect the BT.

However, as usual, it was very easy. I was trying to plug the BT adaptor into the computer when it should have been plugged into my printer! When I did that, it just worked. Of course, I had to find my printer from a list, etc. But after that it has worked flawlessly ever since. I totally love wireless!

I don't think you'll have any problems.
Thanks Carol for your feedback - are you also able to use the scanning features over bluetooth? That's been the main sticking point for me, I've read a number of comments from people that couldn't - although nothing specific to the MP500 (my printer). I would imagine yours is very similar to mine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HP K550 Network Printer printing garbage | Limit on clients in network? »