New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

airport card alternative?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mlecho

mlecho is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 800 mhz iBook G4- 12"

looking to go wireless/wi-fi...do i have a choice as to what card i buy? Does it have to be "Apple Airport Card", or is there a clone/copy? do i want 11b or 11g? what's the difference.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Just got back from vacation so haven't posted in a while.

You don't have to use the Airport card although it is recommended.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175

They have a USB wifi card. Apple is the only company that has an internal wifi card so that nothing is sticking out for apples as of now to my knowledge.

Whether to choose B or G depends on what router you will be using.

G has speeds of 54 mbps at a range of 50 ft and than it goes to the 11mbps for 100 ft range

B has 11 mbps for the whole 150 ft range.

So unless you will be close to the access point or router G is not too important

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
mlecho

mlecho is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 800 mhz iBook G4- 12"

[QUOTE=trpnmonkey41]Just got back from vacation so haven't posted in a while.

You don't have to use the Airport card although it is recommended.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175
]
Thanks for the help...if i go with something like this dlink...will it be considerably slower than the airport card, or are we looking at something about the same?

the price is surely better with the dlink.
QUOTE Thanks
andyeb

Personally, I'd go for the internal card any day. There are a number of wi-fi hot spots springing up in cafes and shops - having something plugged into the USB port seriously reduces the posing factor... oops I mean makes it seriously less convenient

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
lsuperguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyeb
Personally, I'd go for the internal card any day. There are a number of wi-fi hot spots springing up in cafes and shops - having something plugged into the USB port seriously reduces the posing factor... oops I mean makes it seriously less convenient

Andy
I agree with the "posing factor" plus you get great signal from the antenna in the lid of the ibook or TiBook rather than the little antenna the dongle has on it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook freezes every time i click "Network" | AirPort Extreme »