New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Another http://192.168.1.1 / wrt54g problem help!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chubzgsxr

Ok bear with me guys.

I bought a linksys wireless router today(wrt54g) After getting home I realized there is no love for the mac world. The cd that it came with was compatible with my macbook. So i found a couple web sites that made it sound easy but i am just to tried and to frustrated because nothing is working for me. My biggest problem is that http://192.168.1.1 will not work for me anymore? I logged in one time and then it never worked after that. I gave it about 5 hours of trying to figure this puzzle. Can someone please write me a dummy proof step by step process. please !!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Plug into the router when you want to make changes

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
chubzgsxr

What. I need someone to take me by the hand and guide me through this mess.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

plug in the router to your laptop, then enter in 192.168.1.1 and the password [default is admin i believe] then edit what you want to change. Also, if you dont want to always plug in your router to your laptop then go to Administration and enable Remote Management. make sure you changed your password though dont forget encryption
QUOTE Thanks
chubzgsxr

i can not log on to http://192.168.1.1 ,nothing happens when i do it
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubzgsxr View Post
i can not log on to http://192.168.1.1 ,nothing happens when i do it
Did you plug it in? If so, I'd recommend doing a factory reset of of the router. You can find the manual and information on how to do that at the Linksys website.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

You say that 192.168.1.1 won't work "any more". Are you saying that it did work with this router previously, or was that was you used for the old router? The new router may well be assigning a different address. My Linksys WRT54G defaulted to 192.168.123.1 for the router's IP - maybe give that a try.

In the router documentation there should be an IP listed. If it is 192.168.1.1, then do a factory reset of the router, plug your mac into it via the cable, and go from there. If it's not, just use the other IP. The default for that router is that there is no admin username, and the password is set to 'admin'.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i had a problem with logging onto 192.168.1.1 with my ibook but then i use firefox and it worked fine.

could just be luck but give it a go.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
QUOTE Thanks
chubzgsxr

ok i was able to restart the router and go back on to http://192.168.1.1
the mac even shows me that i am connected to the "airport" it also is showing me the signal level, it is just when i unplug the internet cable i am no longer online?? It is like i am half way there, help me guys!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Hello when you go into your system preferences and then to network. What are the settings. Mine for example shows that my built in ethernet is connected and gives me the IP of the built in ethernet. I am plugged into the cable modem with a cable.

What are your settings?
QUOTE Thanks
chubzgsxr

ip address 192.168.1.100

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

router 192.168.1.1

ipv6 address fe80:0000:0000:0000:0217:f2ff:fe2e:2296
QUOTE Thanks
chubzgsxr

anyone ??? are these settings ok ?
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Those settings are perfect they are the same as mine mine for the wired connection. Now I think if you wish to connect with your wireless you disconnect your cable restart your macbook and check your preference window again. You should automatically default to your wireless connection. You then should be able to enter your router using 192.168.1.1
QUOTE Thanks
chubzgsxr

Thank you . it works great now, took me a couple of days but thanks to you i got it , thanks a million. I just hope that i am not goint o loose connection anytime soon
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Your welcome
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Access a compputer on the network | How do I hook my MacbookPro up to net via Ethernet? »