New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Linksys WRT54G Router


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Cecil2006
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I have a Linksys WRT54GS version 5. Mine was working fine until I decided to update it so that I could change my security from WEP to WPA. I updated the firmware for the Linksys a month or so ago and I started to have problems. The internet would just stop working. I would reset the both the modem and the wireless router and it would work for a while. But still all wireless (two PC and one G4) plus a wired PC would still work. When the internet would quit 3 to 4 times in a day, I contacted Linksys. They had a newer firmware that should take care of the issue. And it has except for the G4. The G4 can see the wireless router but there is no connection to the internet. Took the G4 to the Apple Store today and had them clear all previous internet data (like new). In the store it connects quickly to both Airport (wireless) and wired. Turns out it was firmware upgrade. Tried downgrading the firmware and it worked for about 3 hours then kicked all (pc's and Mac's) off the internet. So I put the Linksys away and set up a Netgear.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

 
Audio.Trench's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,726
Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Audio.Trench is offline
This is the only router that actually withstands a decent flow of traffic.. I had an SMC wireless and it'd crap out whenever I'd start moving a lot of traffic over the network as well as from the Internet

I have not had a problem with this router on any of my computers. Definitely go with it.
QUOTE Thanks
mimi8

 
mimi8's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 18, 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Posts: 37
mimi8 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro Leopard 2.0GB RAM 2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo 250GB HDD

mimi8 is offline
I have been using Linksys for like 5 years now. I have had no problems with it, not even one bit. Out of curiosity i wanted to try Netgear, so i did. And they are horrible. Linksys has better support than netgear. If i did had problems with my linsys, a phone call always fixed it. Netgear on the other hand if i am not mistaken, have limited support. I think after a couple of days or months, you will have to pay in order to get technical help. Also, Netgear gave me problems where some computers were connected and some weren't (i have 3 laptops and 2 desktops). So overall, i say Linsys is worth every freaking dime. Online chat helps a load lot.. Free too.
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

 
Member Since: Sep 21, 2006
Posts: 246
brianj08 will become famous soon enough

brianj08 is offline
stay away from it, i have found that D-Link works well with the mac's airport card
QUOTE Thanks
heavyweight

 
Member Since: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 46
heavyweight will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook CD2.0gz 60gb harddrive, 1.25GB RAM, external 120gb HD, 37" JVC LCD HDTV display via HDMI

heavyweight is offline
I just bought it last week to replace my wiredd Linksys router....it is working great...i have 2 PC's wired in and my Macbook connected via Airport card all downloaded torrents very quickly over a DSL connection and have yet to been disconnected in one full week.....if it keeps up like this I will be very happy with it.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

 
eric's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 04, 2006
Location: twin cities, mn, usa
Posts: 8,801
eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

eric is offline
after a few years of solid performance from my WRT54G, i had my cable modem swapped for one that can handle digital voice (by comcast). as soon as this swap was done, i found that my wireless would vanish periodically - just the wireless. if i hook an ethernet cable from the router to my macbook it's rock solid. it does seem to have more of a problem with location now. i can leave my macbook in one place, and move the router around and eventually find a place that it will be ok for hours.
i'm wondering if the new modem is somehow emmitting some sort of interference?

i did, as a troubleshooting measue, download the latest firmware (i was at least two full versions behind). this didn't seem to help - though, luckily, it didn't hurt either.

i think i'm going to try to use a longer crossover cable and move the router farther from the modem...
QUOTE Thanks
mlem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Linksys has released a firmware upgrade for the WRT54G v5 and v6 that should fix the problem. Apparently there was an issue in the way the router assigned IP addresses to Mac clients.

I tested it out using my Intel and PPC computers. The new firmware seems to fix the problem.

For more information: macnewsonline
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 808
Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Jeff is offline
I was trying to set up a WRT54G for my friend the other day, and I was going in to set up all the wireless options, and everything was in German and I couldn't change the language. I have had only mediocre luck with Linksys in the past, so I'm not trying to be a hater, I just thought it was funny.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
eric

 
eric's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 04, 2006
Location: twin cities, mn, usa
Posts: 8,801
eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

eric is offline
odd thing, after leaving my linksys and modem on for days since my modem change, my wireless connection has slowly become rock solid again.

it seems almost as if the router had to settle. it's been perfect again, for days.
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

 
Member Since: Nov 29, 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 749
imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

imacmatt09 is offline
I dont like linksys. I use my airport express which was way easyer to setup and configure than a linksys router. Sure it cost more but it was worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
ibelli
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil2006 View Post
I have a Linksys WRT54GS version 5. Mine was working fine until I decided to update it so that I could change my security from WEP to WPA. I updated the firmware for the Linksys a month or so ago and I started to have problems. The internet would just stop working. I would reset the both the modem and the wireless router and it would work for a while. But still all wireless (two PC and one G4) plus a wired PC would still work. When the internet would quit 3 to 4 times in a day, I contacted Linksys. They had a newer firmware that should take care of the issue. And it has except for the G4. The G4 can see the wireless router but there is no connection to the internet. Took the G4 to the Apple Store today and had them clear all previous internet data (like new). In the store it connects quickly to both Airport (wireless) and wired. Turns out it was firmware upgrade. Tried downgrading the firmware and it worked for about 3 hours then kicked all (pc's and Mac's) off the internet. So I put the Linksys away and set up a Netgear.
I have had the exact same problem with the Linksys that I just bought. I have tried everything to get this thing to work consistently. The wrouter would work fine for a half hour, an hour, but would imminently drop the connection of all the computers including the one desktop that its wired to. To try to solve the problem, I upgraded the firmware from version 1.50.6 to version 1.50.9 which resulted in my Mac Book Pro and the wired desktop functioning fine, but the G4 would not get an I.P. address. So then i downgraded the router firmware to 1.50.8 and all of the computers worked for a while untill the problem of dropped computers happened again. I thought it was a bandwidth/usage issue so i even reduced the WTU size from 1500 to 1450. That worked for about an hour. The I upgraded all the software on it including the airport fixes, and then thinking that the updates would solve the firmware compatibility issues, re-installed the 1.50.9 firmware, and then ended up back where I am now. With nothing from the G4

How has the Netgear been working with your G4?
QUOTE Thanks
ibelli
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelli View Post
I have had the exact same problem with the Linksys that I just bought. I have tried everything to get this thing to work consistently. The wrouter would work fine for a half hour, an hour, but would imminently drop the connection of all the computers including the one desktop that its wired to. To try to solve the problem, I upgraded the firmware from version 1.50.6 to version 1.50.9 which resulted in my Mac Book Pro and the wired desktop functioning fine, but the G4 would not get an I.P. address. So then i downgraded the router firmware to 1.50.8 and all of the computers worked for a while untill the problem of dropped computers happened again. I thought it was a bandwidth/usage issue so i even reduced the WTU size from 1500 to 1450. That worked for about an hour. The I upgraded all the software on it including the airport fixes, and then thinking that the updates would solve the firmware compatibility issues, re-installed the 1.50.9 firmware, and then ended up back where I am now. With nothing from the G4

How has the Netgear been working with your G4?
So I am not pretty certain that Linksys has issues with certain airport cards, specifically ones found in iBook G4s. After being thoroughly perplexed and frustrated by all the fixes I had to try with the Linksys, i returned it and got a D-Link. Got it up and running within 5 min and has been stable ever since. No firmware downloads, no software updates. It has also been noticeably faster than the Linksys. In short, if you are trying to deploy a wireless network and have a Mac, I'd say think twice about getting a Linksys. Some may be fine, but the fact that there has been an attempt by Linksys fix of the mac compatibility issues, and people are still having issues says to me that they still have some things to work out.

Just an FYI
QUOTE Thanks
manjux

 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2007
Posts: 3
manjux is on a distinguished road

manjux is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj08 View Post
stay away from it, i have found that D-Link works well with the mac's airport card
I also had an adsl dlink and it works badly. the problem is with IP assignment.

I was able to put the macbook working perfectly with wrt54g and also with wrt54gl after erasing all original firmware.

The best thing to do is to follow the steps here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...ation_Tutorial

This tutorial explains how to turn your wrt crap into a $600 machine. The idea is to erase linksys firmware and install open source dd-wrt one. after that you won't have more problems with macbook and in the end you will have a lot more possible configurations for you router.

If you are in the middle of trashing your wrt54g just give it a try and you'll see that this is one of the best routers around.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Networking problem | Sharing Mac & XP using Netgear??? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Help! Problems with Linksys WRT54G router gemigene Internet, Networking, and Wireless 4 02-01-2010 01:49 AM
Buying Linksys WRT54G wireless router....opinions? Joeytpg Switcher Hangout 2 09-05-2004 06:47 PM
problems with linksys WRT54G router bamon OS X - Operating System 2 05-19-2004 10:37 PM
linksys router, DSL, and macs (G4 and Powerbook) mstephenj Other Hardware and Peripherals 0 01-04-2004 01:55 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?