New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Mac Mini on network with Windows PCs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Woodzo

Woodzo is on a distinguished road

Hi- newbie here, so be gentle :headphone

I am seriously thinking of entering the world of Mac via a nice little Mac Mini.

However, I have two PCs, one running Windows XP, the other running Linux. These are wired into a network along with my partner's laptop (running XP) connecting wirelessly.

My query- I realise the Mini has an ethernet port but will it be happy running on the same network as Windows and Linux PCs? Will I be able to use the existing net connection my router uses? Will I be able to share files between the various machines? Will the Mac Mini be able to 'see' the printer?

Many thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
tiffaneyJoy

tiffaneyJoy is on a distinguished road

When I purchased my mac mini I tried to connect it to my network (wired through the ethernet cable) and it seem to knock the interent connection out (especially if I turned the mac on first). Then I connected the mac mini wireless through airport and haven't had a problem yet. My network is only for the internet so i am not sure if it will work with the printer, I am still trying to figure that little problem out myself.

Mac Mini
1.83 Intel Core Duo
1 GB Ram
:black:
QUOTE Thanks
Slokunshialgo

Slokunshialgo will become famous soon enough

For me, I have a D-Link DI524 wireless router, set up to not require a password (After having some conflicts with my Mini and it, I resorted to MAC Address filtering, which has little to do with Macs). The internet works wonderfully with it.

Now, as for working with other computers, I have a Linux/Windows dual-booted (Wired), a Windows laptop (Wireless), and the mac Mini (Wireless). Sharing files has been quite easy, and is something I do on a regular basis. I've had a couple of issues using it with my Linux box, but that would be on its end. Through Windows, no problems whatsoever. (Note, however, that I usually connect to it directly, using (through Linux) smb://192.168.0.103/<username>, or (through Windows) \\192.168.0.103\<username>, I can't remember how well it works through exploring the network)

Now, printers, I've had a couple of issues with this, but only with drivers. To use it on the Mini, I needed to install GutenPrint drivers, and I needed to install the drivers for it on my laptop, so it can use it correctly. On Linux, I haven't really bothered trying after I last formatted it when trying a new distro.

But that aside, I have been able to turn on the Mini, and print through it over the network, no problems. I just had to set up the Mini to allow for remote printing (It's under the System preferences, under "Sharing", if I recall correctly), and set up my laptop to print to it.

Going the other way, I'm not entirely sure, both for sharing and for printing, because I've yet to have a reason to try. I just use the Mac as a print server because it's close to the printer, and has a consistent OS, unlike my Linux box, which could be Windows or Linux.

I hope this helps.

PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with wirelessly networking a printer. | Newbie question! »