New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

connecting to a network hub?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

muirgheal

muirgheal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black

so, I spend a lot of time at my boyfriend's, so we got a network hub to connect me to the internet with it. I have no idea how to connect to it! there is a wireless network in range that I am using, but I don't like piggy backing on someone else's (stupidly) unsecured network. can anyone help me? the hub we got is the.... linksys 10/100 5 port hub network everywhere model nh1005
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

Mac Specs: macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black

*bump* I seriously need help with this. the comp says that it cannot automatically detect the ISP address or something like that (I'm on a school computer because mine currently cannot connect to the internet!!!!!) I am no good with computers, and some help would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

come on! at least say something like "can't help ya, sorry, you might try somewhere else!"
*mumble grumble....*
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

What have you connected the hub to? Is it going into a router, another computer, a wall jack...?

Do any other computers in your boyfriend's location work? Did you try disconnecting the cable to one of the computers that you know works and plug it into your computer?
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

tried all that, and it's connected to a router
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

In that case, you'll need to be specific about the error you're seeing. It could be anything at this point.
QUOTE Thanks
muirgheal

it says (can't say exactly right now- I'm on a wireless network in my school's campus center) that it can't find the IP address (or something like that)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows can't see my computer | Wireless Network for iMac »