New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Need help with simple network!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

atomheartmother

atomheartmother is on a distinguished road

I need some help setting up a very simple, temporary network, if it is at all possible.

What I want to do is provide a temporary internet connection to my desktop PC through my iBook. The iBook recieves wireless internet from our neighbors that we share internet with. Unfortunately, my desktop does not have a wireless reciever so it does not have internet access. I need to do some updating and registering/activating of some critical softare on the desktop and need internet access to do so.

So, is there anyway to provide internet access to my desktop PC through the iBook, which recieves its internet access through wireless signals via Airport?

I do have a router that I could use to connect the desktop and the iBook if that helps. Also, if there is some compatability issue, I could also use my girlfriend's laptop (PC), which recieves wireless internet signals as well.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Well you could Connect an Ethernet Cable form your iBook to your PC, although this would rewduce your speeds and require your iBook to be on to access the Internet from your your Desktop PC

Or you could always pick up a cheap Wireless PCI Card or USB Adapter.

Also I hope your ISP knows that you're sharing one internet connection between two houses :p

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
Well you could Connect an Ethernet Cable form your iBook to your PC, although this would rewduce your speeds and require your iBook to be on to access the Internet from your your Desktop PC

Or you could always pick up a cheap Wireless PCI Card or USB Adapter.

Also I hope your ISP knows that you're sharing one internet connection between two houses :p
What would they care? You purchase the bandwith.

I tried doing just the ethernet thing and it didn't work. Under Local Area Connection Status in this Windows junk, the packets sent goes up, but the packets recieved is always at 0. It always says acquiring network address as well.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

open system preferences
click sharing
click internet
share from your airport
to computers using ethernet & firewire
turn on internet sharing

plug two computers together with ethernet cable and you should be set. if it doesnt work it needs a little more tweaking, just let us know
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
atomheartmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
open system preferences
click sharing
click internet
share from your airport
to computers using ethernet & firewire
turn on internet sharing

plug two computers together with ethernet cable and you should be set. if it doesnt work it needs a little more tweaking, just let us know
-chris
Thank you, thank you, thank you. God, I love the simplicity of Macs. That did the trick, except that I also had to turn on Personal Internet Sharing or something under Services (it told me to).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet History | accessing my sheared printer from my mac »