New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook Pro - New Mac Book Pro......and a problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Who Cares444

So, I finally switched and got one of the new Mac Book Pros. So far, I'm loving it to death. It's so fast and beautiful, I could easily compare it to [fluffy bunnies]. However, I do have a problem.

When I'm at home, I can't get the internet to work. I have a cable modem and a Netgear router. I have a PC hardwired and a wireless PC laptop that both work just fine. My MBP says it's connected to the network and the internet and that everything is just fine. The diagnostics tells me that it can't help me. The problem is, when I open Safari, the page never loads. After about a minute, it tells me the server stopped responding. I'm at school right now and am connected to their WiFi with the MBP just fine. I also just checked and the IP address for school is different from the one it tries to connect to at home.

Help!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks Received Warning
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

first off congrats on your new baby!

- can you connect from your MBP to your router wirelessly?
- have you done all the software and airport updates?
- have you checked "use interference robustness"?
QUOTE Thanks
Who Cares444

Yeah, when I opened the Fed Ex box, it was probably the happiest moment of my life. That includes birth.

Anyway

-I can connect to the router, but it won't provide me with an internet connection. I tried pinging google from my MBP and nothing happened. I've restarted my modem, router, and MBP and still nothing.

-No, I haven't. I think I'll give that a go right now.

-I checked it once for a brief time, but I wasn't sure what it was, so I turned it back off.
QUOTE Thanks
StyLz

StyLz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Cares444 View Post
Yeah, when I opened the Fed Ex box, it was probably the happiest moment of my life. That includes birth.

Anyway

-I can connect to the router, but it won't provide me with an internet connection. I tried pinging google from my MBP and nothing happened. I've restarted my modem, router, and MBP and still nothing.

-No, I haven't. I think I'll give that a go right now.

-I checked it once for a brief time, but I wasn't sure what it was, so I turned it back off.
I'm having the exact same problem right now. At school today I was plugged into their network as I have been for the past several weeks with no problem. I came home, plugged everything in, and nothing. I can't get my email, I can't get any web pages to load, and like you said pinging sites comes up with nothing. I've been having to force quit Safari after it sits for some time.

I do NOT have a wireless router however, and neither is the network at school. I'm sitting on my iMac right now so there's no problem with the ISP from what I can tell.
QUOTE Thanks
StyLz

StyLz is on a distinguished road

Aaaand I fixed my problem.

To: Who_Cares. Try resetting your router. It seemed to do the trick for me. I guess it was just being cranky, but I just unplugged it for a bit and then plugged it back in and now I'm back on my MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Who Cares444

Update: I tried resetting the router again (leaving it unplugged longer this time) and turned on Interference Robustness, but neither are working.

It also seems as if being hardwired into the router works just fine. My MBP is now hooked in and online via ethernet cable. This is kind of good news but not really since I'm not looking foward to using this configuration every time I want to get online.

Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you using WEP? If so 64 or 128 Bit? There is a setting you have to change from default or you will have no internet if you are using WEP. Let me know and if so I can help you.
QUOTE Thanks
Who Cares444

Alas, I am using WPA.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

make sure your internet connection settings are correct and not catered for your schools network
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Who Cares444

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
make sure your internet connection settings are correct and not catered for your schools network
-chris
How can I do that?

I know that the IP I connect to at home is different to the one I connect to at school. Also, the home network is preferred and the MBP connects to it the second it's detected. The one at school always asks if I want to connect to it because no preferred network can be found. So, I'm assuming, if anything, that my MBP is catered to my home network.
QUOTE Thanks
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

This just happened on my sisters iBook when she got it. I fixed it after hours of frustration... and it was somthing really REALLY simple.... can't remember though... ugh.

Have you run the internet connect wizard? Run that and restart the router when it asks you to restart it.
QUOTE Thanks
Who Cares444

Yeah, I've run the diagnostic many times and it's never worked.

I really appreciate all the help, guys (I don't know if that reads as sarcasm, but it's not)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Cares444 View Post
Alas, I am using WPA.
It should work then if you have the key in right. WPA for me always goes right in on OSX. I have had issues on XP machines with WPA Pro. Not sure what is up.
QUOTE Thanks
Who Cares444

I entered the key right. the MBP tells me that I'm connected to the internet, but it never loads anything. I can't load a web page, connect to iTunes, or iChat. Once or twice it loaded half of my homepage, but that took about five minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If you open System Preferences and networking and click on Airport and then the TCP/IP tab, what IP address do you see there?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport disconnects after entering "sleep" mode | Cannot connect Mac to PC network »