New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

NetInfo Manager needs Internet access?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hagen

hagen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel mini early 2011 4GB

Is it normal for NetInfo Manager to want Internet access?

My NetInfo Manager won't work unless the cable modem is "on" and allowing Internet traffic. With the modem off, it doesn't respond and I have to force quit.

I really don't want that modem on while I'm messing with root passwords and such.

I'm new to Macs and OS X, so there's probably something simple here that I don't understand.

I think I have Tiger 10.4.7
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen View Post
I'm new to Macs and OS X, so there's probably something simple here that I don't understand.

I think I have Tiger 10.4.7
If you are saying this then there really should be no reason for you to be even messing around in Netinfo Manager. I am a very experienced user and have yet to find a need to go in there

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
If you are saying this then there really should be no reason for you to be even messing around in Netinfo Manager. I am a very experienced user and have yet to find a need to go in there
Maybe so, maybe no, but that ducks my question.

I'm very experienced with that other OS that has no protection at all from users. I'm accustomed to "rooting" around in it, and very successful at keeping it safe and running smoothly. I will learn OS X pretty quickly.

The reason I went into root was to back up data, manually, from the method on this page -

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106941

That done, I should disable the root account. NetInfo Manager is an often-used method, I'm given to understand.

Now how about the question - Is it normal for NetInfo Manager to need Internet access?

If the answer is no, then I appear to have a problem. If yes, I'll probably have more questions.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

NetInfo shouldn't need internet access

Why don't you just use a backup utility like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper

QUOTE Thanks
hagen

I'm concluding that this is probably normal behavior. It is, after all, "Net"Info Manager, and it works perfectly if I allow Internet traffic.

Does anyone else have an on-off button on their modem and is willing to do a quick test? Turn the button off, then open NetInfo Manager and tell me if you get the window or if it hangs? You wouldn't have to do anything in there.

It would be a big help to me learning about the workings of OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen View Post
I'm concluding that this is probably normal behavior. It is, after all, "Net"Info Manager, and it works perfectly if I allow Internet traffic.

Does anyone else have an on-off button on their modem and is willing to do a quick test? Turn the button off, then open NetInfo Manager and tell me if you get the window or if it hangs? You wouldn't have to do anything in there.

It would be a big help to me learning about the workings of OS X.
Before my last post I turned on my macbook which had no internet connection and the program opened fine

QUOTE Thanks
hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
Before my last post I turned on my macbook which had no internet connection and the program opened fine
Thanks! I maybe have something wrong here.

I have the "Missing Manual" book and have gone through troubleshooting steps down to "reinstall the app". I'm not ready to try that yet. I'll just leave that app alone until I know more about this system.

This thread got moved to the hardware board anyway, so I think it's dead.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme Base | Internet History »