New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

How to reference videos, music, pictures, documents folder on another computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I am getting a MBP on Tuesday and am relatively new to the Mac other than a imac that my son just bought a couple months ago so have a question.
On my Windows XP machine I have of course a my documents, my music, my pictures, and my video folder as well as my outlook (email, contact, calendar) data. The way I have it set up now is I have two profiles, one a away one for on trips, at meetings, etc. and the other a home profile (two login profiles). I have a main computer desktop that kind of acts as a server and where I store these files all in their respective directories. What I do is at home I simply use a utility for Windows XP called TweakUI which I can simply install on my laptop and have it point to those respective directories on the server. Then in the away profile since I use this on the go at times I have it set up to point at those directories on the local computer. What this means is of course from time to time I have to copy those files to the local laptop to keep them up to date.
Now that I'm switching to Mac I know there is a music, video, pictures, and documents folder. As well, I am unsure if I will use Entourage for a PIM or use the ical, calendar, and mail apps.
I assume first there is a way to make two profiles, a home and away. if this is correct I know in the away profile I can put everything in the correct folders on the mac but what about when I'm at home. Can I have these folders, music, etc. point to a folder on the main computer like i do with TweakUI on XP or is there probably even a simpler way to do it on the Mac?
Thanks in advance for any help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I set up access permissions? | How to find IP Address???? »