New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Macbook - Limited to no connectivity **WiFi Questions**

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ExTrEmE

Ok right now im using a netgear wifi router. im trying to get the macbook to get connected to the network but when i added it the computer reads it as limited or no connectivity(this is on the window's side) but when i insert the wep key on the mac side it doesnt even find it. Do i need to buy the AirPort Express to get the internet working? Will the AirPort Express solve everything??
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

What's the distance between the Wireless router and the MacBook. It can happen due to low signal strength.
QUOTE Thanks
ExTrEmE

the router and the laptop is a good 3 feet lol other dell laptops connect fine without a problem with full strength
QUOTE Thanks
ExTrEmE

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

Sometimes PCs and routers use WEP with 40-bit or 64-bit enryption, the Mac only supports 128-bit. You need to check your router config by logging into http://router.net from a machine connected with cat5 and then check to see what form of WEP you're using. I'll bet it's WEP-64bit, I would switch it over to WPA as it is more secure and more compatible, but if yu must use WEP, make sure it is 128bit.
QUOTE Thanks
ExTrEmE

ok thanks let me check and see if its ok
QUOTE Thanks
ExTrEmE

Well i checked it out and its set at 128 bit and we dont have WPA so i have to use WEP
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

sorry, that was my one shot...
QUOTE Thanks
ExTrEmE

hmm i just sent my macbook for repairs i guess i should i add that in there
QUOTE Thanks
ExTrEmE

Is buying the airport going to solve my problem??
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

nope, I use 64bit wep on my dlink router. I spent a few hours with this problem. put you network passcode in quotes only on the mac.

Ex. "passcode"

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Netgear routers are notorious for being garbage. It could very well be the problem.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
Netgear routers are notorious for being garbage. It could very well be the problem.

Especially a lot of the newer Netgears I have had to set up. Some work ok out of the box but then slowly go down hill. My friends Netgear 54G router after a few months started to overheat and lock up over and over. I would also check to be sure it's not the router.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Especially a lot of the newer Netgears I have had to set up. Some work ok out of the box but then slowly go down hill. My friends Netgear 54G router after a few months started to overheat and lock up over and over. I would also check to be sure it's not the router.
hmm reminds me of my old linksys router.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
ExTrEmE

well i went to buy a AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port)
The thing was i got it for 45.00 so i bought it. so how do i set it up now? my macbook is out for repairs but i should get it on tuesday or so.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« setting up static ip address | How do I set up access permissions? »