New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Why won't my wireless security work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Well and truly doing my head in!! :mad:

As soon as I apply any security whatsoever to my router my iMac will not connect to it.

My Windows laptop does it fine irrespective of whether there is any security on it or not but the iMac does not entertain it at all whether it be WPA or WEP.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Do you configure it from your PC? If so try the opposite and do it from your Mac via ethernet. I find it easier to setup from Mac and then do the PCs. Hope you find the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Try putting a "$" at the beginning of your WEP key, then try to joing the network.

If that doesn't help, try these links from the forum:

Wireless not working

Why Has my Wireless Stopped Working?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

On the screen where you put in the WEP Password be SURE to click on the Wireless Security clicker and change it from WEP Password to WEP 40/128-bit HEX. That solved it for me and a few others here.
QUOTE Thanks
Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Starting to annoy me TBH - I'm spending all afternoon fixing it tomorrow hopefully! People must be loving having free internet around my house :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
gondzur

gondzur is on a distinguished road

I was having this same problem the other day using WPA. I updated the firmware on my router and could not connect with my macbook using security. Rebooted my macbook and tried it again and worked perfectly. Rebooting seems to be the logical answer to a lot of problems anymore...I'd be willing to be you've already tried that though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Linksys wrt54g or wrt54gs | Sonnet Aria Extreme »