New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport uses..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jojack

Jojack is on a distinguished road

Question about the airport express. can it be configured to recieve internet signal and send it to a desktop? Acting like a wireless card. my modem recently went caput.. and my pc isnt wireless, we currently use a random wireless provider.. one that doesnt have securtiy enabled. in any case, why buy another piece of electronics if they one you have can perform the same function.. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Jojack

Jojack is on a distinguished road

Right well, i kinda scrapped that idea and opted for sharing internet. only, it doesn seem to be working. my mac is set to use airport (as its wireless) and the pc is across the room connected via ethernet cable. it still doesnt pick up the signal. is there something i have to do on the pc side?
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

I have the same settup, and I have to say its a real pain. The mac will allways work fine, however the PC does not like this.
To get rid of your troubles, buy a wireless PCI card or USB dongle for your PC. The PC doesnt like having wireless and wired computers at the same time.
Anywhoo, I think you need to run network settup wizard, or something like that and pick your network type under "other". If that doesnt work, try restarting everything (Both computers, but most importantly the airport and modem).

Obviously I really don't know what I am talking about when it comes to networking, but I hope its a little bit of help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« looking for a wireless 4 port 10/100 router | New Mac Pro User »