New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wireless router / Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MPW

MPW is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Im looking for some help in finding a good wireless router to use with my Macbook.

I have cable internet will a Comcast (Terayon) router hooked up to a PC with a Ethernet cable.

I would like to be able to use both the PC (via Ethernet) and my Mac (WiFi) at the same time.

Would this one work for me?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384663529
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Wireless Router?

Router for Macbook AND Windows pc?

Airport & Sky Broadband

What router to get

Best 3rd party wireless router?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPW
Hi,

Im looking for some help in finding a good wireless router to use with my Macbook.

I have cable internet will a Comcast (Terayon) router hooked up to a PC with a Ethernet cable.

I would like to be able to use both the PC (via Ethernet) and my Mac (WiFi) at the same time.

Would this one work for me?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384663529
Yes. That is the same router I use.
QUOTE Thanks
MPW

So I decided on the Linksys WRT54G, however my Comcast router only has one ethernet jack.

I have read on other post that I might need an ethernet card for my PC.

Is that true?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPW
So I decided on the Linksys WRT54G, however my Comcast router only has one ethernet jack.

I have read on other post that I might need an ethernet card for my PC.

Is that true?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPW
I am not really sure what you are getting at, to be honest. :black:

I am guessing that by Comcast router, you mean modem.
That is fine because the modem gets connected to the router when you get it. If you are getting the Linksys router you mentioned, then you will have 4 wired ports on that.
If your PC is already online, then no, you will not need to get some sort of networking card for it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MPW

Yeah, sorry about that I am not all the knowledge able about computers.

Cool, all I need to do is connect the Linksys router to my Comcast moden with a Ethernet cable.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Yep, that's correct. I have same router but on DSL. It is easy to set up, just follow the instructions on your disc. Probably easier too do it from your PC but you can from Mac by entering http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser. There is a pdf on the disc that tells you how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
MPW

Thanks
I'm all set up and running.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac To Mac Network-Wired | looking for a wireless 4 port 10/100 router »