New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

[HELP] Going wireless...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FB Eye™

I need some info on how to make a small wireless network at home, the least expensive way possible.

To make a long story short, I'm moving my home office to a new room in my house. For some reason too long to explain here, I can't move the cable modem to the new office room. That's why I'm thinking of connecting the eMac through a wireless connection. Now, I have an eMac that is said to be Airport Extreme ready. From that point, I have no idea where to start as I know very little about all that wireless stuff.

I first looked at the Apple store and the Airport Extreme card for my eMac is not very expensive. So far so good. BUT, the Airport Extreme base is 250$ CDN way too expensive for my *very* limited budget.

My question is, what are the other possibilities here? I don't need anything fancy, no advanced features. I just want to hook up the eMac to the internet through the cable modem that's in the other room. Are there any non-Apple solutions that are less expensive? Any 3rd party cards and wireless routers that will work fine with the eMac?

Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

You can buy a wireless router...A lot of people have Linksys and it is around $65-$70.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

It is hard for me to explain how to set it up but I know somebody here will help you. I am just good at doing it rather than explaining. It is not hard to do though.
QUOTE Thanks
FB Eye™

And they work with an Airport Extreme card?
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Yes it does. I use Linksys.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

If you do get this router then here is a good site for you:

http://www.jiwire.com/linksys-wrt-54...-usability.htm
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

The Extreme Base Station that Apple sells is just a fancy router. You can purchase a wireless router, as others said, for around $60. It will work fine with an Airtport Extreme card installed in your eMac. They come with direction sheets, and are not that difficult to set up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac to pc network | Why Has my Wireless Stopped Working? »