Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    roewert's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2006
    Posts
    26
    PowerBook keeps changing channels!
    I'm trying to solve a dilemma.... I have a setup in my apartment consisting of a 20' core duo iMac, and two 12' G4 Powerbooks, all "linked" together via an Airport, and all sharing a single HP printer. Everything works flawlessly, with one exception:
    Several weeks ago my wife was complaining that she could not print from the 12' G4 that is hers. I checked and was able to print from my G4 as well as the iMac. So I checked her G4, and discovered that it was not on our Apple Network, but was showing that it was connected to something called "NETGEAR." I clicked on the Apple Network listing and switched her back. I have no clue what NETGEAR is, nor how hers got switched. Anyhow, I checked my G4 and noticed that I had NETGEAR as an option as well, but mine was still on Apple Network.
    Yesterday my wife wanted to transfer a photo that she'd been working on to me so I could view it, but was unable to connect to my G4 or the iMac via the network. Sure enough, her G4 was back on NETGEAR. She switched it back and all worked as it should.
    My assumption is that NETGEAR is a wireless setup existing in one of the surrounding apartments and we are just picking up their signal. How she is able to use the net through thie NETGEAR I have no clue, nor do I understand why hers keeps switching to it.
    Is there some way to make sure that her G4 always defaults to our Apple Network and ignores the others? Interestingly enough, her G4 is showing several other Networks, while mine (which is now 18' away from hers at the moment) is only showing our wireless network and that NETGEAR. I have our wireless network secured, so I'm reasonably certain nobody is using ours, but we certainly don't want to be using anyone elses either.

  2. #2

    iWonder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 09, 2005
    Location
    My world
    Posts
    632
    Specs:
    iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
    Try this:
    Open up prefrences -> Network -> Airport -> then select by Default join 'perferred networks' then delete any network you don't want to join. Then go to Options and customize it. I set mine to 'ask before joining an open network' and deselected everything else..

  3. #3

    roewert's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by iWonder
    Try this:
    Open up prefrences -> Network -> Airport -> then select by Default join 'perferred networks' then delete any network you don't want to join. Then go to Options and customize it. I set mine to 'ask before joining an open network' and deselected everything else..
    Thank you very much! I've made those changes on her G4. I guess that's one of the "problems"with Apple... everything works so well that I don't often think of tweaking the settings! When I set up the Airport wireless here everything just worked! :cool:

  4. #4

    Erudite.Warrior's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 17, 2005
    Location
    Bristow, VA
    Posts
    151
    Specs:
    2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
    If you have not already, you want to encrypt your wireless network and perhaps add MAC address filtering to secure YOUR network. The person with the NETGEAR network certainly has not and is only asking for trouble.

  5. #5

    iWonder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 09, 2005
    Location
    My world
    Posts
    632
    Specs:
    iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by roewert
    I have our wireless network secured, so I'm reasonably certain nobody is using ours
    yeah...

  6. #6

    roewert's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by iWonder
    yeah...
    Very helpful comment! Thank you! Care to elaborate?

  7. #7

    roewert's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Erudite.Warrior
    If you have not already, you want to encrypt your wireless network and perhaps add MAC address filtering to secure YOUR network. The person with the NETGEAR network certainly has not and is only asking for trouble.

    Well, I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but I've got all the security options that I know of turned on. I had a friend bring his PowerBook over, and while it certainly detected my network, he was not able to access it.
    Any helpful information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning.

  8. #8

    iWonder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 09, 2005
    Location
    My world
    Posts
    632
    Specs:
    iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by roewert
    Very helpful comment! Thank you! Care to elaborate?
    was just telling E-Warrior that you already have security on..

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2005
    Posts
    4,702
    Quote Originally Posted by roewert
    Well, I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but I've got all the security options that I know of turned on. I had a friend bring his PowerBook over, and while it certainly detected my network, he was not able to access it.
    Any helpful information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning.
    Found this about encrypting the network:

    http://www.atpm.com/8.04/wifi.shtml

    and this about adding MAC address:

    http://www.download.com/1200-2023_4-5162406.html

    Hope it helps you....

  10. #10

    roewert's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-8
    Found this about encrypting the network:

    http://www.atpm.com/8.04/wifi.shtml

    and this about adding MAC address:

    http://www.download.com/1200-2023_4-5162406.html

    Hope it helps you....
    Thank you very much! Looks like I had everything set up properly based on what I've read. About the only thing I can's seem to figure out at this point is why, when I have my iMac set to join "preferred networks," as stated above, neither of my G4 Powerbooks can access the iMac, yet the iMac can access the two G4s, and they're both set the same way. If I change the iMac to "automatic" then the two G4s pick it up just fine.
    I'm still playing with it though.
    Thanks for everyone's input so far!

  11. #11

    iWonder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 09, 2005
    Location
    My world
    Posts
    632
    Specs:
    iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
    is your iMac set to 'personal file sharing' in sharing?

  12. #12

    roewert's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by iWonder
    is your iMac set to 'personal file sharing' in sharing?
    Yes, it is. I made sure that all three of my Macs are set identically.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. changing channels on both base station and repeater?
    By BrooklynStudent in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 10:24 AM
  2. Extracting into 6 Channels
    By Maalgo5 in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 09:14 PM
  3. Changing Channels?
    By Driven_Insane in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
  4. Help in creating Sherlock channels
    By LoisLane in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
  5. IPTV Channels
    By boarderjosh10 in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •