New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Express vs. Extreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steidl705

steidl705 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook, PowerMac G4

i am thinking of buying either Airport Express or Airport Extreme for my appartment. there will only be my two computers and my roommate's laptop.

does anyone know the advantages of buying one over the other, or which you would suggest? thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I have an extreme and love it. I believe it provides better signal and you can get an external antenna. The express is good from streaming itunes.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Cheaper to just buy a $50-$60 wireless router.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I would buy an Extreme if you're going to buy either. It's more robust and has a greater range.

You could also go with a regular router that is cheaper, but the Airport makes everything so simple and in typical Apple fashion, it just works...

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Airport Extreme for a house, but saying room mate makes me think this is a dorm, If this is a dorm, you will not have to worry about range or number of computer it can support. I would get the express if it is a dorm simply becaues its easy, just plug it in somewhere and your done.
If you are in a house, or more then one room, I would go with the Extreme it has a large amount of power and a great range. I use both and love them.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I'd go with a Linksys, Dlink or Netgear wireless router. I have both an Extreme and Express, but I needed/wanted a wireless print server, wanted wireless music to the stereo, and with a 2 story house I wanted to make sure range wasn't an issue. The Extreme and Express are expensive, relatively speaking, but with the print server/music capability they are competitive considering a standalone print server is $50 to $100 itself.

Absent the first two issues (printer and music), any wireless router would have worked fine (my old Linksys 11b router worked fine with Intel iMac and ibook until I wanted to upgrade). For your purposes, any decent 11g wireless router should be fine, and the Apples will see them and set them up with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
wakerider017

wakerider017 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo

woah woah woah.... There is some incorrect info in here.

The Extreme and Express have the SAME exact signal strength an range! Call Apple and they will tell you the same thing!

I called and talked to 2 different reps when I was shopping for one.

Advantages of Extreme:

*56K V.90 modem for dialup connections
*Supports upto 50 users
*Includes an external antenna port

Cons of Extreme:
Does not play iTunes music over your wireless network

Advantages of Express:
*Plays iTunes music over your wireless network to your home stereo

Cons of Express:
*Only supports upto 10 users
*No 56K (Who cares?)
*No external antenna port

The express is a MUCH better choice for someone that lives in a home with less than 10 people who want to acces the wireless network.

Which is probably everyone here! The Extreme is made more for schools and large facilities...

You may try and reason.... "well you can add an external antenna on the Extreme."

My response to that is "fogetta 'bout it"

You can nearly buy 2 Express airports for the price of 1 Extreme... If you really need the range get 2 Express airports and bridge them!

I hope this helps!

24" iMac
QUOTE Thanks
wakerider017

Yup I just confirmed on the website... They both have the same signal strength and range.

Read for your self:

Express:

Quote:
* 50-foot range from the base station in typical use at 54 Mbps data rate (range depends on building construction)
* 150-foot range from the base station in typical use at 11 Mbps data rate (range depends on building construction)

Source:
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

Extreme:

Quote:
AirPort Extreme provides a range up to 50 feet at up to 54 Mbps and up to 150 feet at up to 11 Mbps for AirPort Extreme-enabled computers.

Source:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=M8799LL%2FA

24" iMac
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I would point out as a user of both that the Express actual range appears less than the Extreme -- I assume this has more to do with the Express residing low on the wall plugged into the outlet and partially blocked by furniture.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Good call wakerider017 - this is a case in which more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

The extreme is better in large settings (office buildings, schools, large houses) as it is slightly more flexible as it can have its range extended with antenna and supports more clients.

The express is better suited to small apartments, normal-sized houses and the like. It "only" supports 10 users, but has the advantage of wireless music streaming.

The theoretical range of either should cover you easily.

I say get the express.
QUOTE Thanks
wakerider017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Good call wakerider017 - this is a case in which more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

The extreme is better in large settings (office buildings, schools, large houses) as it is slightly more flexible as it can have its range extended with antenna and supports more clients.

The express is better suited to small apartments, normal-sized houses and the like. It "only" supports 10 users, but has the advantage of wireless music streaming.

The theoretical range of either should cover you easily.

I say get the express.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

24" iMac
QUOTE Thanks
wakerider017

Here is a quick photoshop of an ideal network setup:

(This is what I want to end up with)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Network copy.jpg (215.1 KB, 16 views)

24" iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless printing to unsupported printers | problem with wireless modem & airport extreme »