G4 sees router but no connectivity
    Just moved house. The new place has a working setup: motorola surfboard modem connected to a PC (from which I am writing)

I have connected (by CAT 6 cable) a linksys G wireless router. I used the same router in my previous home and it worked perfectly.

Neither of my G4's work with the wireless setup however, they do work to a limited extent (skype only, not the browser or email client) when i connect the laptops to the modem with a CAT cable.

The motorola modem has a USB cable (connected to the PC) and the CAT (i tried CAT 5 and CAT 6) cable connected

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
    2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
    Quote Originally Posted by johoney
    Just moved house. The new place has a working setup: motorola surfboard modem connected to a PC (from which I am writing)

I have connected (by CAT 6 cable) a linksys G wireless router. I used the same router in my previous home and it worked perfectly.

Neither of my G4's work with the wireless setup however, they do work to a limited extent (skype only, not the browser or email client) when i connect the laptops to the modem with a CAT cable.

The motorola modem has a USB cable (connected to the PC) and the CAT (i tried CAT 5 and CAT 6) cable connected

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Not sure if I read your post correctly so I want to clarify. Are you saying that your modem is connected to two devices (the PC via USB and the Router via Network cable). If this is true, then that is probably one of your problems. The connection should look like this.

CABLE on Wall -- (COAX CABLE)---> Modem ---(Network Cable - RJ45)--->Router.

OR

CABLE on Wall -- (COAX CABLE)---> Modem ---(USB Cable)--->Router.
    Is this how you are setup?

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Agreed, I don't think you can connect to both the USB and RJ45 at the same time and use them both. Try just the router to the RJ45. Were you using Cable or DSL at the old place? Make sure the Linksys router is set up to use the cable modem and not DSL. Also with some cable they read the Machine address of the first computer that you use to set it up and will not work with anything else. What I have had to do in cases like that is clone the Mac Address of the computer it was plugged into, then enter it into the router. There should be a place in the Linksys web setup for the cloned Machine address.

Try the first suggestion and see if that works.

thank you for your replies.

it turns out that my ISP (in Cali, Colombia) limits the number of machines per router (to avoid folks setting up internet cafes in their homes?), so i had to give them the MAC address of my router.

when that didn't work i called back to be told by another tech support that they don't support wireless routers.

in the meantime i've downloaded a driver for the cable modem (motorola surfboard) and will connect via a USB cable.

thanks again.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Did you try putting the MAC address of the PC into the router? That has always worked for me when setting up peoples Cable systems.

Thread Information