New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

power went out now im having some serious problems...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hogface13

hogface13 is on a distinguished road

ok well im pretty new to these forums and i havnt had any problems with my macbook until now .. last night the power went out and my router and modem shut off...no big deal...but for some reason i turned them back on and my computer will now not connect wirelessly to the interent. it dosent even pick up the wirelesss router. does anyone know why this would be happening. please help!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you tried power cycling the setup?
If you haven't, or if you don't know what I mean by this, just follow these steps in this order:

1. Power everything down (modem, router and ALL computers involved)
2. Wait at least one full minute
3. Power the modem back on and wait for it to cycle through its startup sequence. You should see the lights come on, one at a time, then start to flash.
4. Power the router back on
5. Power on the computers, starting with the ones connected via ethernet (wired) and ending with the wireless ones.

This sequence should allow all the computers to pull fresh DHCP and allow them to connect to the internet at the same time.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
hogface13

yes i have tried that... i am gonna try it again since the last time was last night and thats when the power went out but do u have any ideas why the mac isnt even picking up the wireless router?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogface13
yes i have tried that... i am gonna try it again since the last time was last night and thats when the power went out but do u have any ideas why the mac isnt even picking up the wireless router?

When the power went out, was the Mac using battery power or AC? Did the Mac get shut down also or just the router and modem?

Is the Macbook the only computer you have with wireless? I am wondering if when the power went out if something got messed up in the router and it's not even putting out a wireless signal for the Macbook to pick up. I have seen sudden power outages do strange things to some routers.
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Everytime the power kicks out here (hurricane, good summer storm, etc.), I always reset the router to Factory Default, and then I reconfigure the router again.

It always seems to do the trick :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
hogface13

well yes i acually talked to my uncle(a computer programmer) and he is the one that gave me the wireless and he told me that the "wireless" part of the router might have died so he told me to just go get another router so i think thats what i might try thanks alot for all ur help guys and girls ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what router would you recomend i get? | router signal booster »