New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can't Connect to ASU Network via Airport???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRizzo

Hi, I go to Arizona State University and they have their own wireless network. I was able to connect to it wirelessly totally fine when I first moved into my dorm. Then today when I came back to the campus it would let me connect but when I try to go to the internet it tells me "You are not connected to the internet." When I try to run the Network Diagnostics, it tells me it cannot find a PPPoE server. I can get on the internet with an ethernet cable but it just annoys me that the cable is just running across the room. What's wrong here?

Also, I have a D-Link router and was wondering if I can set up my own network for my room. There are two ethernet cables connected to the wall(1 for me, 1 for my roomate). Can this be done? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :black:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You probably aren't supposed to be connecting via PPPoE. Go into Network Preferences and under the Airport set it to connect via DHCP.

You could easily set up the wireless network in your room but in most schools it is against policy and they will disable your internet as long as you have the router connected

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

Wow that fixed it! Thanks a lot man.
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

Well it worked for a while but as soon after I woke my computer from sleep it wasn't working again. I looked in the network settings and it wasn't connecting with a PPPoE. don't know what to do now. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

I try running the network diagnostics but it doesn't help. The network status says "Connected to the network "ASU". AirPort assigned it's own IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet." The little light next to it is yellow instead of green.
QUOTE Thanks
Aslain

Aslain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook (White), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD | iPod Video 30GB| iPod Nano 1GB

Don't you have an IT department at your school? Maybe you can ask them to help you?
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

It's working again....? Do you think it's my computer or the network?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help needed with G3 Imac and airport | Linksys wrt54g set up wizard »